• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Pump question!

Supergeek

My car has been out of action for about 3 months as I cleaned up the engine bay and installed a new exhaust system. I removed the intake/exhaust manifolds, fuel pump, starter and alternator to give the engine a good scrub down. I reinstalled all the parts and tried to start it up today and the fuel pump wont pump. It worked fine before. I checked the lines and they are not clogged. I didnt touch the carb so I think its ok. When I was trying to get it fired I noticed that the fuel in the fuel line only moved back and forth about an inch in the line as the engine cranked (no carpet in cabin).I remove the pump and pumped it with my hand and I can hear it sucking and blowing air out the other side. I did not use new gaskets for the pump, because I couldnt find any. Could this be the problem? Also I believe the pump is the original, as it was covered in lots of dirt and oil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! And to all a Happy New Year.

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

My car has been out of action for about 3 months as I cleaned up the engine bay and installed a new exhaust system. I removed the intake/exhaust manifolds, fuel pump, starter and alternator to give the engine a good scrub down. I reinstalled all the parts and tried to start it up today and the fuel pump wont pump. It worked fine before. I checked the lines and they are not clogged. I didnt touch the carb so I think its ok. When I was trying to get it fired I noticed that the fuel in the fuel line only moved back and forth about an inch in the line as the engine cranked (no carpet in cabin).I remove the pump and pumped it with my hand and I can hear it sucking and blowing air out the other side. I did not use new gaskets for the pump, because I couldnt find any. Could this be the problem? Also I believe the pump is the original, as it was covered in lots of dirt and oil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! And to all a Happy New Year.

David G.

Guest Anonymous

All the gasket does is keep oil off the head, it has no effect on the pumping. If you have access to compressed air, try pumping a little air into the fuel filler to prime the system. Use your hand like a cork over the opening and put the nozzle between your thumb and index finger to pump the air in. Too much air sends fuel flying everywhere, which is bad, so be careful...

Topping off the carb with fuel to get a little fire helps too, sometimes cranking without firing won't get the motor spinning fast enough to pull fuel all the way up the line.

Guest Anonymous

All the gasket does is keep oil off the head, it has no effect on the pumping. If you have access to compressed air, try pumping a little air into the fuel filler to prime the system. Use your hand like a cork over the opening and put the nozzle between your thumb and index finger to pump the air in. Too much air sends fuel flying everywhere, which is bad, so be careful...

Topping off the carb with fuel to get a little fire helps too, sometimes cranking without firing won't get the motor spinning fast enough to pull fuel all the way up the line.

if you have a 1 bbl Solex, the dime-sized rubber grommet in the bottom of the air cleaner is a vent tube that leads to the float chamber. pour a couple of tablespoons full of gas down that pipe to fill the float chamber, and the engine will start right up and run long enough for a properly operating mechanical pump to pull fuel from the tank.

The two bbl Webers also have a vent, but it's smaller and more difficult to find. Look at the edge of the carb throat towards the car's front, and you'll see two small odd-shaped orifices. One leads to the float chamber, and IIRC it's the one closest to the car's left side. If you shine a small flashlight down the hole, you'll see the top of the float. Prime as above.

Dumb question...did you remember to reinstall the fuel pump pushrod?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

if you have a 1 bbl Solex, the dime-sized rubber grommet in the bottom of the air cleaner is a vent tube that leads to the float chamber. pour a couple of tablespoons full of gas down that pipe to fill the float chamber, and the engine will start right up and run long enough for a properly operating mechanical pump to pull fuel from the tank.

The two bbl Webers also have a vent, but it's smaller and more difficult to find. Look at the edge of the carb throat towards the car's front, and you'll see two small odd-shaped orifices. One leads to the float chamber, and IIRC it's the one closest to the car's left side. If you shine a small flashlight down the hole, you'll see the top of the float. Prime as above.

Dumb question...did you remember to reinstall the fuel pump pushrod?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow. I did install the fuel pump rod. Thats the first thing i checked.

David G.

Thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow. I did install the fuel pump rod. Thats the first thing i checked.

David G.

Maybe the pump is working, but the lines are just not primed yet. Try starting/running on some starter fluid sprayed into the air filter housing intake. That my get it cranking enough to prime the lines. Also, look closely at the lines leading up to the pump. Any leak there can prevent priming.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Maybe the pump is working, but the lines are just not primed yet. Try starting/running on some starter fluid sprayed into the air filter housing intake. That my get it cranking enough to prime the lines. Also, look closely at the lines leading up to the pump. Any leak there can prevent priming.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators