• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to seal around license plate wiring?

richdnyc

Trying to find a way to protect the hole where the license plate light wires exit the car on the back panel. There's no grommet on mine and I'm told it's a potential water entry point. Anyone have an extra grommet or a home remedy for that?

'74 Amazonasgrun S/R

used on USA cars that have their license plate lights mounted to the body vs bumper on the Euro cars? If so, a proper sized rubber plug should be available at most any hardware store. The hole is about 1/4" diameter IIRC.

If it's for the wires as used on a squarelight, a suitable grommet should also be available at a hardware store. Or just use a bit of "dum-dum" sealer.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

used on USA cars that have their license plate lights mounted to the body vs bumper on the Euro cars? If so, a proper sized rubber plug should be available at most any hardware store. The hole is about 1/4" diameter IIRC.

If it's for the wires as used on a squarelight, a suitable grommet should also be available at a hardware store. Or just use a bit of "dum-dum" sealer.

mike

+1 for the rubber plugs, that's what i used on my tii, bot them at ACE hardware,

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

black sealer kinda like strip caulk or plumbers putty (but black vs white) that's used to seal small holes in bodywork and general auto body caulking work where caulk from a gun won't work. It stays flexible and sticks to what you press it against.

3M (among others) sells it in boxes that contain several dozen foot-long strips about the diameter of a pencil. Get it at an auto body supply store.

I think the proper name is "strip caulk." Don't know where the dum-dum name came from...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

mike

Believe it or not, I bought mine at the BMW dealer..this plug "was" still available! :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"