• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument panel removal question!!

Supergeek

Im going to be purchasing a complete instrument panel from a fellow faqer to replace mine. I was just wondering how I go about removing the panel as a whole. Ive never done this and I dont want to break anything. Thanks!

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

You will see from the "new" one, there are 2 threaded rods coming off of it on the rear.

On the early cars anyway, all you have to do is unscrew the speedo cable and remove the 2 knurled nuts from those rods, and push the thing out the front. Um, there may be plastic washers under the nuts, I forget.

After you push the assembly forward there are various plugs will become visible for you to disconnect.

A pretty simple operation overall. And it may be a good time to attach the extra ground pigtail at this point.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I've had to remove mine several times, and it's as the others described. Just go in from behind, disconnect all wires and it'll come out the front. Watch out that the glass doesn't come off the dials, as it can be a bit of a pain to get back in right. Also, I recomend making a diagram of the wires and their respective contact points before , or as you remove the assembly.

Cheers,

Ben

rubber washers. They allow the nuts to be finger tightened and not loosen up under vibration, and will keep the cluster from rattling. If yours are missing, get a couple at your local hardware store. Washers with 1/4" diameter ID holes will work fine.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite