• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 from California, lower compression?

JCG

I'm sorry to bump such an old thread, however I can't find an answer. Can anyone else comfim Automatic 2002's had a 8.9:1 compression in 76', rather then the 4 speeds 8.3? I'm checking out a 76' (California spec) this saturday. Smog will not be an issue as it would be registered in a smog free county.

Careful. Even if registering it in a non smog county in California, you still need to do the one smog check for change of ownership regardless of the county you are going to register it in. Your profile does not state your location so I don't if your non smog county is in fact in California.

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

Well according to the owner, the car passed smog the last time he had it done (I believe 2013 was last date) I left a note on the car and him and his wife called me the next day are willing to sell it. It would be registered in Mendocino county. I'll take pictures on Saturday to see how much you guys think it's worth. It has a rebuilt engine, tranny (auto sadly, which would be swapped for 5 speed), rebuilt carb, instrument cluster, and re upholstered seats. The clear coat is failing in some places and the only rust I can find is slight bubbling around the windshield. Underneath looks completely rust free but I'll have to take a good look when I see it again.

Edit, here's a pic that I took when I drove by:

22ec057c8739d9259339d5edbe119663.jpg

Edited by KIRIEIW

This brings up a question. Several times I've read that the 49 state car had a different camshaft than other M10 motors Does anyone know if that's' true and if so what the difference is ?

Certainly might be true, based on two different part numbers still available, particularly since the one is designated for 9/75 to 7/76 cars. But I've not heard how it differs from the "usual" camshaft.

Here's the RealOEM.com parts listing:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2215-USA-04-1976-114-BMW-2002&diagId=11_2372

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)