• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Altering camshaft timing

trangieboy

Does anyone know of a cheap and easy or proper way to alter the camshaft timing ??

I`m sure i saw somewhere an idea where you drilled oversized the locating hole in the cam sprocket and fitted an eccentric bush.

Who makes adjustable cam sprokets of any type ??

Thanks,Mal.

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400318 resto

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400178 parts

RHD 1800 NK sedan VIN 0998094 parts

RHD 320i E21 5 speed parts

RHD 1602 ? twin mikunis,5 speed. POS driver

I know of two types. The 1st I have installed on my motor from Ireland Engineering. It looks like the oval the original holes and then drill 3 others for the pin to change the timing. it has 0,+2,-2,-4 degree timing marked on it. You need to remove the wheel each time to adjust it. A bit difficult to adjust.

AdjDBLcamsprocket.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

The other I have seen is made by Terry Tinney in Livermore, CA. He also ovals the orignal holes and just enlarges the pin that locates the wheel on the camshaft and uses an eccentric to adjust it. He makes a regular and lightened version.

BMWCamGearLSRLT.jpg

http://www.terrytinney.com/

I think if i had to do it all over again I would go with one from Terry Tinney since it would be much easier to adjust. Terry looks to be a bit cheaper also.

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif

just make sure that your valves won't hit the top of your pistons. There is an interference on the M10 engines that will just do that. It makes for some nice broken rockers and bent valves. I think the gizmo is designed for use on race engines with added piston clearance for the valves.

FAQ Member # 91

Metric Mechanic makes offset woodruf keys for our motors. They come in 1/2 degree increments from 0.5* through 2.0*. Advance or retard... just flip it around.

HTH,

TJW

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76