• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tick - clonk - tick - clonk

deschodt

Hmm... Got the 73 back from the shop with a rebalanced driveshaft and new guibo. No more vibration, nice !

I did pick up a few new things though:

- The exhaust ticks-ticks-ticks (you know, the normal cool off noise of heated metal), but it does it all the time, loud enough the toll booth people told me my car was broken ;-) Any idea what's going one there ?

- I can feel a "clonk" in the steering at low speeds, very low speeds in fact, and I can hear it now and then too. I put the car on a lift and everything looks fine and tight... I can turn the wheels left and right smoothly, no play that I can feel, the steering feels fine (not harder or irregular), the suspension is new, tie rods look great, it's not like a bearing noise, just clonk-clonk clonk as I slow down... Ideas ?

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

check wheels and tires for steering and maybe even brakes, but no idea about the zaust.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

For the exhaust, sounds like you have a leak, most likely around where the manifold meets the head. You will have to check all the connection points and make sure everything is tightened correctly. If you want, you can carefully reach your hand down and try to feel any exhaust escaping.

For the clonk, try to listen for when and where the noise comes from. Is it when the suspension is compressing? Or when you brake? Also, go under and shake anything and everything. If you can recreate the noise there, you most likely found the problem.

Guest Anonymous

An exhaust leak, did not think of that, I'm used to exhaust leaks making popping sounds, this is really a "tink-tink" of expanding metal, but good idea...

I put the car on the lift tonight again. Nothing...nothing at all... All looks tight. From the racket I expect a broken part dangling somewhere... nothing loose, no rubbing, no slop... I've noticed it does not happen when I am braking, but when I am coasting at low speeds it's very very noticeable, so I doubt it's speed related or suspension travel related... Very odd, gonna have to go back to the shop, where this car has spent more time than in my garage !