• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Right $ for Air Horns?

SeanH

Hey guys,

Has anyone around here bought air horns recently? The only ones I can find that have the proper screw on attachment are at Pierce Manifolds but they are price at about $75 each. Is that the going rate for these things?

Link: http://www.piercemanifolds.com/carbdetails/html/45_dcoe_152_filters.htm

Do I need to spend somewhere in the vicinity of $300 for new airhorns? Anyone have any used ones for sale? I have 45 DCOE Webers.

good air horns (velocity stacks, trumpets, honkosuckers, whatever you want to call them) are expensive - and cheap ones, quite frankly - are often junk. If you want to take yer chances with cheaper stuff - try VW parts vendors. I got a set for my old bus (running two 40 IDF double barrel carbs) and they were "ok", but the previous ones were real crap and cracked at the base - they were like tin foil!

do a search under VW air cooled performance parts, VW Weber, whatever...that's how I sourced many of the parts for my 72 Type II bus.

HTH!

Paul Wegweiser

post-2748-13667580799693_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Nah, guess I'll just anty for the real deal if that really is the going price. Pretty much everything else on the engine is top notch. May as well not stop now.

Still, if anyone has some high quality used ones around . . .

Thanks for the advice, mates!

The key feature that makes the air horn perform well is the full radius at the opening. That, together with the correct short length for high HP would make them worthy of the price for getting the max out of race engine. But these are very small gains even at that price, so I'd be certain there's not somewhere else the money could be spent first to get more bang for the buck.

Pegasus sells a nice 40 mm long air horn for DCOE 45 for $59.99

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=1257

3893.JPG

I'm new to carbs, but it looks like the kind of horns that bolt on to the flange are the only kind mine will take. Those being more expensive by far it turns out.

I've heard that short horns are better for HP while long ones will improve low rpm grunt. My car will mostly do street duty -- I think I will enjoy the extra power down low, which is why I was looking for some around 70mm.

Am I right in assuming that will necessitate me swapping to the tii brake booster? I have an itg air filter which needs that anyway.

Interesting. My 45's take sleeve- in horns. Maybe you have different aux venturis. I found a few (one of mine was damaged) on fleabay for cheap-ish.

Toby.

Also in Seattle.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

My V-Dub downdraft IDF carb air horns had the 2 hole flange you mentioned...

here's a link to some similar ones - others can be found via VW vendors.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1479

HTH!

paul

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com