• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nose difference?

Poon

The centre vertical ribs for mounting the centre & side grilles are spaced differently and the "late" US panels have square holes for the big bumpers, whereas the "early" panels had vertical slots for the bumper brackets to locate. If you get a "late" Euro nose panel it will still have the slots.

You can make a "late" nose panel into an "early" one (and vice versa) by replacing the centre section, however, the mounting tabs for the side grilles may be positioned differently (not sure about that).

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The newer (post 73) US spec 02's have the left and right grille openings that run all the way into/behind the center kidney. The earlier ones have a small slit of metal between the left and right grilles and center kidney. The early noses take the metal grilles as a result and the later noses take black plastic grilles only.

Also, the bumper holes are square versus the smaller slits for the early chrome bumpers. The square holes are there to support the newer bumper shock assemblies.

• Like 1

yeah, the grille mounting tabs are quite different.

Also, the panel behind has different cutouts.

In a pinch, I converted a late nose to an early one on the

race car- it's not too hard to do if you're quite handy with

a welder and know what you're doing with bodywork.

Otherwise, it's not something for the faint- at- heart, as

that nose panel really loves to warp.

fwiw.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL