• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Model Car Addicts Out there?

02fanatic

This is slightly off topic, but despite the dozens of '02 and other Bimmer model cars I have, I have a few hot rods, chevies, etc. from way back in my teen years (that are pretty darn nice actually). Most are smaller than the 1:18 die-cast size - being from model kits by AMT, Revell, etc. (1:24?).

I'm having a heck of a time finding decent and reasonably priced clear plastic display cases for them.

Any suggestions?

Have a good weekend everyone,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Guest Anonymous

Greetings - and absolutely!,

With regards to cases, a few scattered suggestions:

- IKEA Billy bookcase/displaycase system (not everyone will have an IKEA store nearby, although a catalog can be sought out in short time)

- For individual 1:18 BMW '02's- Tamiya 1:20 Formula One cases (somewhat expensive but very clear and hence elegant). Search eBay for 'Tamiya Cases', scribble down dimensions and stock numbers, visit Tamiya website if dimensions or stock numbers aren't properly revealed. Identify what you want, tailor your search, then bid away.

- For larger custom display cases, try Carney Plastics or simply search for Lexan display cases with a Google search. A small number of firms will create lexan display cases (more multiple cars in particular) to your specifications. Obviously, such an option requires a measure of planning, but nevertheless the results can be handsome. If you are near a major urban area, contemplate taking in train or scale automotive hobby shows to inspect what might be available locally.

- Cheapest option ever imagined is the inverted fishtank. Scope out area garage sales or investigate newprint circulars. Clean with the greatest of care, fabricate internal shelving if you should so wish.

- So so quality individual cases show up at the usual big box stores, but the material used is often milky and can have the effect of making even expensive diecast models appear cheap and nasty. Try to avoid these.

Obviously a motley assortment of observations and suggestions. Hope they nevertheless may be of help. Best regards...

Mike K.

'74 '02 Malaga on grey

(perhaps ten 1:18 '02's, and a dozen 1:43 '02's for good measure - last scored a 1:20 Bandai/Entex '74 '02 turbo)

I bought two curio cabinets about four years ago on sale for $99 each. I have in them about 15 1:18 scale '02's, 12 1:43 ones and about 20 in 1:64 and 1:87 scale. I still have room for a few more.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290