• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Erratic temp gauge -not just on other electrical load- what?

My car developed an erratic temp gauge the other day, which seems to be intermittent. I've always had a temp gauge which moves up when I hit the brakes, a turn signal, or headlights, but just lately it started bouncing around independent of this. What's the best troubleshooting or likely cause??

TIA

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

1. Remvoe instrument cluster

2. Locate little brass nuts on the back side of the temp/fuel gauge housing.

3. Make a Y shaped wiring harness with ring terminals on the Y's short end and a spade or ring terminal on the long end.

4. install ring terminals under each brass nut (one for temp, one for gas)

5. Ground other end to body

6. Kiss twitching gauge problem boodby

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

When mine did the bounce when I hit the brakes..etc I cleaned up the ground contacts in the front from the battery to fender and the back where all the rear tail lights are grounded. It fixed the issue.

Good Luck.

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

those things will fix it. The cause of the intermittent fidgeting is the same as the electrical fidgeting -- poor ground connection at the gauges or in the battery ground cables. The intermittent thing is more likely caused by the gauge ground nuts.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Excellent! Good to know grounding is cause for the erratic behavior too. And thanks for the detailed instructions - much appreciated!

d

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002