• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Optomitry For 2002's

Biscuit3

So far, Karl has gone from this...

575.jpg

To this...

glasses.jpg

And with his new HID xenon headlights, at night he looks like this...

Bright.jpg

How do you like his new look? Haha!

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

....the silver wipers make a 100% improvement!

Turns out, the one on the left was originally chrome, and the one on the right was originally black. Yes, I discovered this after stripping the paint off the left one, no problems, but had an ordeal with the other one. So, what to do? Get some engine paint and spray both! I like the difference too, however, I'm not sure which they are supposed to be - black or chrome, as I have seen both, but oh well.

....those square Aux Lites belonged on a RUSSIAN LIMO

They are on the Australian eBay right now for $20 start and $50 "buy-it-now" if anybody is interested! (end sarcasim)

railwayKarl-1.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I used to have 4 super oscars on a similar car, that were a gift. I liked the look because the extra weight seemed to lower the front end!

Car was driven in urban Southeast Georgia. The car alway looked like it was being readied for Dakar. Except for flashing rude oncoming drivers with their high beams, I don't think I had occasion to ever use the lights as intended. Lights were ultimately stolen by unknown persons who messed up the grille, bumpers, aluminum trim and paint, in so doing. I have since learned to prefer the uncluttered look.

Downunder those lights serve a different function by acting as a buffer for jumping marsupials and two legged varmints.

G'day.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f8/Geraet_beim_Optiker.jpg/250px-Geraet_beim_Optiker.jpg

Much improved. Will the stock alternator power the xenons? I retrofited a set of X5 Xenons into a set of euro light housings on my E28 Alpina B9 and had to upgrade to the next largest alt. BTW, I collect grill badges and would love to have one of those BMWCCofwaydownunder units. Happy to send you some US club junk or money to re-imburse. Thanks. Tim

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

AllDVDPictures%20459.jpg

"Orange Julius" looked this way in 2002.

I've since traded the the E21 basketweaves for vintage Minilites and remounted the bumper mounted Bosch driving lamps to the front bumper brackets. The Carello vintage fogs are hidden away until I need them for all my imaginary Alfas and Ferraris.

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Looks so much better. I think pre72 cars had stainless steel wipers and after that they went to the plastic ones. imo the stainless ones look so much nicer. could you please email me and tell me exactly what you have to do to fit HID's and if you have any pic's of the installation and what it looks like all mounted in I would be most grateful.

Email- jamesnutter50@aol.com

Regards James

Wow, so many replies, I don't know where to start!

Looking good Ash... whats plans next for it?

Karl only has two more things on the cards before, hopefully, October this year. We are completely re-doing the rear end suspension as last year the front end was done. But at the moment, I'm having problems finding shock top mounts and cross member bushes, other than that, ordering will start soon, along with a great set of Bilstein HD's.

After that is done, Karl has to go back to the panelbeater to fix a dent in the rear bumper that they "forgot" to fix while he was there for three weeks. And while there, he'll also get tinted windows!

And maybe, just maybe, I'll take his wheels in to be chromed before the show and shine, I don't know yet.

how are the cutoffs on the hid's?

Even though I love my HID's, I have sadly ordered the wrong ones. They aren't the hi/low beams with the relay. However, when on low beam, they are like a normal halogen light, but thankfully, much brighter than stock, so I'm still happy there. And high beam of course, turns the xenons on. This set up is ideally good for me anyway as I live in the city and don't usually require bright lights. But when I used to need them, I really wished I had them, and now I do, so I'll more than likely keep this kit.

I'm not too sure what you mean by cutoffs, but these are 6000K. Intallation was really easy as all you have to do is just hook the xenon bulb up where the normal H4 one would go and just double sided tape the ballast somewhere nearby. The xenons take about five seconds to be fully lit.

Here are some examples:

This is just a general picture to get you started. Don't get scared after seeing all the wires. There are two main ones and they just go from the ballast to the bulb and don't attach anywhere else.

hid1.jpg

Here I have made it a little bit easier for you to understand.

hid11.jpg

And this is just another example from the other side.

hid2.jpg

(No, I didn't get under the hood sprayed with the new paint job, that comes later.)

Obviously, if you wanted xenons for both hi and low beams, they make these kits too, but it does have the relay so you'd have more to do which I'm pretty sure it would involve wiring them to the battery. Mine didn't have that.

Will the stock alternator power the xenons?

Despite what most people think, xenons use less power than normal halogens. My particular set only uses 35w at any time, as compared to the 100w bulbs I was using previously. So there is no problem there!

BTW, I collect grill badges and would love to have one of those BMWCCofwaydownunder units.

I'm so happy that people can actually see my grille badge with the lights gone! That badge is from the BMW Club of NSW. I'll place an order for you during the next club meeting. Don't worry about the money. I'll just have to get your address later.

And phew, the pic I posted before without the foggies was from yesterday. That is Karl's new paint job, but after the few pictures I have taken of him, they don't do him justice. He looks much better in real life! I hope some of my reply helped you guys a little bit!

railwayKarl-1.jpg

Ash, Some of the later factory units require a lot more power than older stock alts can provide. It is very cool to find out that there are kits like yours that have no such requirements. That must be a really useful upgrade. Thanks for offering to get me a grill badge. I've got a really cool one I will send you in exchange. Best, Tim tljonesco4@aol.com

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

No probs, Tim. I can understand the over consumption of power. When we first got Karl, he had aftermarket this and that which in return, the battery would only last about 3 months until it was dead. The foggies were one such example! Took awhile to locate all the reasons.

Another, well, is that stupid auxillary fan that I have been meaning to take off and send south of the boarder here since January. Long story short, after my PO had "repaired" the headgasket by taping it back together and using it again, he discovered that the car still overheated. What's the best solution? Install an auxillary fan, not on a relay, so it runs all the time, but of course, install it just behind the grille where there is no possible way any of the tiny amount of air that it produces, reaches the engine.

My dad discovered it about a week after driving the car himself and wondered why it was disconnected. After he reconnected it, it ran all the time, EVEN when the key was off. I hope the person who wants it knows how to install it in a useful way!

railwayKarl-1.jpg

Another, well, is that stupid auxillary fan that I have been meaning to take off and send south of the boarder here since January. Long story short, after my PO had "repaired" the headgasket by taping it back together and using it again, he discovered that the car still overheated. What's the best solution? Install an auxillary fan, not on a relay, so it runs all the time, but of course, install it just behind the grille where there is no possible way any of the tiny amount of air that it produces, reaches the engine.

Thats the standard place for a thermo, pusher fan. What size are you running?

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky