• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber 32/36 problem

I finally got the brakes on my 76 2002 worked out and now I have a new problem. My weber is acting up. Last week the car drove fine. I replaced all the fuel lines in the engine bay and also the fuel filter. I turned her on this morning and she wont hold idle. The only way to keep her running is to keep my foot on the gas and sometimes this doesn't help. Engine is now running very rough. Feels like not enough fuel is getting to the engine. I checked the fuel pump and its pumping. Im guessing that when I replaced the fuel hose, something must have gotten into the carb.

Whats the first thing I should check? This carb is old and I plan on getting a new one as soon as I can afford it. But want to keep driving my 02 in the meantime. Also, the engine timing is not perfect. I dont have a timing gun and set it by turning the dist. until the car ran nice and smooth. I dont think its the timing because the car ran good before and I have not messed with the timing since.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

David

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

If it were me I'd remove the idle jet and verify it's not clogged. Blow it out w/ compressed air if you can. Then, I'd do the same w/ the 2 main jets in the float bowl. If you still have a problem come back on board and someone will suggest your next step.

Bob Napier

First try some brake clean spray around the fitting on the booster. Make sure its not sucking air in. Another quick way is to kink the hose while it is running and see if she smooths out.

Also, the engine timing is not perfect. I dont have a timing gun and set it by turning the dist. until the car ran nice and smooth. I dont think its the timing because the car ran good before and I have not messed with the timing since.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

David

Did you remember to tighten up the bolt on the distributor after you adjusted it? My car started running really rough one day and it was due to some idiot (me) who forgot to tighten the bolt after adjusting it.

Also check the filter that's located near the fuel line inlet to the carb. Unscrew it with a box end 17mm or 19mm wrench. Can't remember the exact size. You will (or should) find a little plastic screen inside the brass bolt. Any big chunks should get trapped in there.

DO NOT FORGET to tighten this filter back up. If you don't, it will fall out spewing fuel all over the inside of your engine compartment and could potentially catch fire.

I know this for a fact. I had the exact same carb on the Formula Ford I used to race. The fuel filter did not get tightened up after cleaning (not my fault btw) and two laps into the race I felt things getting really warm. I looked down and nice orange flames swirling around in my lap. Needless to say my driving suit was a little crispy.

Other than that, as others have said. You may have a chunk of dirt lodged somewhere else. They are quite simple to take apart and put back together. You may want to blow out the passages with compressed air.

You can find more info on Weber carbs here including setup tips.

http://www.redlineweber.com./html/Tech/Table_of_contents.htm

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

My 36/32 has a perpetual intermittent problem holding idle. I thought I had it fixed cleaning out the idle jet, but after a few more engine hours, it is back to the same old shit. Also, after having removed the water choke, carefully replacing and properly readjusting, the autochoke function is now crap as well. I am so fucking tired of wondering if I have to restart that car at every stop.

I know the problems are with the carb; not fuel supply, timing, etc. This Lemon carb sucks. The Weber on my 67 does not give me a lick of trouble. I am readying a tii motor to swap in this winter. After I do that, I am going to sledge hammer the crap out of that Weber.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002