• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I adapt Weber DCOE's to TI airbox boots?

tjones02

I work on two 1800Ti/SA's (my Dad's and Pat deWitt's #'s 995183 and 995184 respectively) and will also be using a '02 TI airbox with DCOE's on my Granada 1600-2 and need to know what adapters are used for this application.

I guess what I am looking for is one of the Ti/SA parts manuals with pictures, and or, some kind of Pipercross type of racing parts house that has something like this.

If I can't find something off the shelf I'm thinkin' making a hard rubber ring that goes around the velocity stack that I can then clamp the boot to. Has anyone done this?

TIA

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Hello Tom!

I have solution for you. When I converted the mighty ti over to 40dcoe's, I had the same problem as you.

When I was driving 995089, there were some dense foam rings that fit over the Weber horns and into the ti boots. I found some heat resistant foam tubing that fits and have used it sucessfully on the 2000ti.

I have bunch left and would be happy to send you a length.

Send me your shipping address and I'll get a length out to you no charge.

Best regards,

Neil McMillan

1962 BMW 700 Cabriolet "The Mighty Cabriolet"

Are you still at mcmil at prodigy dot net ?

Tom Jones

66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i

I HAVE DONE THIS WITH A PAIR OF MIKUNI 44's .

THERE IS A PICTURE OF MY SETUP ON ROADFLY BUT IT SEEMS

TO BE HAVING SROUBLE LINKING . HERE GOES :

http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/gallery/picture.php?path=5643,1;*search:GOLDEN&&DUCK*whereSearch

ON PROBLEM IS THAT THE FLOAT BOWLS NEED TO RUN AT ATMOSPHERIC

PRESSURE BUT SHOULD BE BREATHING FILTERED AIR .

THE AIR FILTERS THAT ARE NORMALLY SUPPLIED FOR THIS TYPE OF CARB HAVE AN EXTRA LITTLE HOLE IN BETWEEN THE BIG BREATHING HOLES ,

I SOLVED THIS PROBLEM BY RUNNING A DEDICATED LINE FROM THE

CARBS TO THE AIRBOX INDIPENDENT OF THE ti BOOTS .

HOW IMPORTANT IS THIS ? I DON'T KNOW . BMW CHOSE TO LEAVE THE

SOLEX SIDE DRAUGHTS OPEN TO THE AIR .

THE NEXT PROBLEM IS HOW TO CONNECT THE CARBS TO THE AIR BOX .

BAVARIAN AUTOSPORT SELLS THE ti SIZE BOOTS AND THE NICE CORREGATED GERMAN HOSECLAMPS .

TO CONNECT THE BOOTS TO THE CARBS , I USED MY ORIGINAL MIKUNI

VELOSITY STACKS AND TURNED THEM DOWN ON A LATHE SO I COULD

GRAFT A ti SIZE SLEEVE ONTO THEM . ( SLIP FIT & J-B WELD )

THEN TURN THEM TO SIZE AND BLEND THE INTAKE RADIUS AFTERWARD .

THE STACKS ARE HELD ON THE CARBS IN THE SAME WAY THEY WERE

BEFORE I MODIFIED THEM BUT THERE IS VERY LITTLE ROOM FOR THE NUTS THAT HOLD THEM ON SO YOU HAVE TO KIND OF "WALK" THEM INTO PLACE .

I SURE HOPE THAT PICTURE WORKS . IF NOT I CAN E-MAIL YOU SOME PICTURES .

-RIMSPOKE-

reodor.gif

Hey Tom,

I use the factory "ti" boots (still available and affordable, I think) and long 30 degree angled velocity stacks (only avail. for the 45s - and NOT avail. new at all I believe) . I spent countless hours trying to fit some foam type rings around the stacks to keep them sealed against the boots - but every effort failed, or looked grotesque. In the end - I figured the stacks consume air so deep into the boots - that little "unfiltered" air would enter the equation, and gave up my obsession with it. I just slip the boots over the stacks and run it.

On my 40 DCOES - I cut some spare angled 45mm dia. stacks - and welded them to 40mm sleeves - so I could insert them into the barrels of the smaller carbs. Worked great.

length of exposed stack outside carb body is about 50mm

FWIW - with the larger stroker motor now in my car - the "ti" air box is insufficient. (strangles the poor dear at cruising speeds) I threw on some Piper Cross socks until a suitable, more elegant solution (ie: til I have TIME) crosses my path.

PS - Tell Pat I said "Hi!"

HTH!

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Wow!!! I've had the same question in my head all week. Wow!!! I've been looking for filters for a while at the same time I've been thinking about adapting the boots to fit the gap between my DCOE's and an early Alpina air canister I bought from M. Cahsel a few years ago. Tom can I stop by your shop on Friday to show you my ideas? These were Pat's old original Tisa carb's in the pictures. What about welding sleeves on the lip of the bell mouth towards the carb to clamp down the boot. My stacks are different from the pictures, I was giving you faq'ers the bases of our conversation.

Norm

post-68-13667576573013_thumb.jpg

post-68-13667576574052_thumb.jpg

Friday's great, anytime is a good time.

Wow! I've been thinking (This week no less, cosmic weirdness is afoot) of getting a hold of those very carbs to use the tops for my Dad's Ti/SA.

I haven't seen mcmil's setup in person yet but the hard foam idea is intriguing.

Pat's car has been running filterless since its restoration, that's OK for the track but I've been driving it on the street to events and such; so I've told her that it's time to put some kind of filter on it. That car is so over the top that I just don't feel right "adapting" something to fit, it's got to be correct.

What else I do need though is a copy of the Ti/SA parts fische or book with pictures. My Dad has a parts manual that includes most of the Ti/SA stuff but it's in German and alas has no pictures... Working on Pat's car and the future restoration of Dad's car has presented the need. Maybe the CCA library has something?

The factory definitely used SOMETHING on the Ti/SA's but what?

On the Jones family cars though, I'll use anything that works well.

P.S. Paul, I'll see Pat probably tomorrow and will pass the good word. Say hi to your Mom for me, I used to talk to her on the Senior Six message board a long while back. I still remember her story of when the D-Jet brain got flooded out in the two tone CSI.

Tom Jones

What Alpina probably used on the A0/A1 was the Ti/SA part right off the BMW shelf.

The 1800Ti/SA came frome the factory with Weber 45 DCOE 15/16's; the only BMW to come with Weber carburetors. Not even the mighty 3.0CSL's did that!

Ha, there's one for you trivia buffs!

Tom Jones

For the record Tom....and this is of utmost importance to me - the woman to whom you refer is not my mom - but a woman my father married about 14 yrs ago. My mom's name was Helen - and she was a 3 time Nurburgring school veteran. F.I.T graduate, pioneering recycling advocate - even appearing on network TV back in the 70s, and one helluva woman. Died from Cancer in 1984. She had inner strength...not just a loud mouth....and she could drive the fucking WHEELS off a BMW withOUT wrecking it!

...and she paid her own way, even putting my dad through grad school back in the 60s!

:-)

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I did not know the history, I am truly sorry I brought up a sore subject. The lady whom I had conferred with on the Senior Six message board with presented herself as such, and I assumed that there was no harm in referring to a cool story she relayed over that message board over 10 years ago.

Again, I am sorry for touching on a sore subject.

Your birth Mother sounds like a fascinating woman!

Tom Jones

Tom Jones