• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwarz 74’ Restoration – “Blacky”

oz_tom

Tom,

How did you mount the 6.5 speakers on the kick panels? Thanks

Hey Armond,

First its necessessary to cut the holes in the kick panels a little bit larger to fit the magnet. I then grabbed some MDF spacers (I think thats what they are called) and glued on some 'stilts' to elevate the speaker. After the stilts have stuck to the spacer, just glue it above the hole for the magnet for now. Now use masking tape to bridge the space left between the kick panel and the spacer - tape all the way around. Once taped up, get some fibreglass and apply it over the tape and then reinforce the 'stilits' to ensure they wont come off if kicked. I then put my carpet back in place and cut a hole in it for the magnet to fit through. Now attach the spaker..

DSCN1658.jpg

DSCN1665.jpg

DSCN1674.jpg

DSCN1675copy.jpg

Im sure there are nicer ways of doing it, but you dont see the mount so why go to the trouble of making it look pretty I thought. Pretty simple job really - Good luck!

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Small update:

Flywheel was machined and is ready to go in. Unfortunatly we had the wrong bolts this time so we couldnt attach it so engine still isnt in. On a positive note, the sub and amp got wired up and went in. For any of the audio guys out there, its a Rockford Fosgate 401s amp and Soundstream Exact 10 sub. I'll also be running some Pioneer 6.5's up the front and 6x9's on the rear shelf (mainly because it was already cut) - Yes im aware its overkill to use 6x9's and a sub :-P. Ill need to get a monoblock to power the sub eventually.

Oh, and thats a temporary carpet for the time being.

Thanks again to Shaun for the help :-)

DSCN2199.jpg

DSCN2200.jpg

DSCN2180.jpg

That is all for now

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Update:

Had a pretty big day today - First went and grabbed some bits from the parts car which is an hour away and while at it found that the lower sill covers are in near perfect condition so that was a nice surprise.

After lunch, Shaun came around and we finally got the engine and gearbox in. I also put most of the lower trim on but need to get some clips for the upper trim still.

Thanks to Shaun and Bill for all the help.

DSCN2201.jpg

DSCN2202.jpg

DSCN2204.jpg

DSCN2206.jpg

Tom

Edit/ Just resized all the photos so they werent so large. Now the threads a bit easier to read! :-)

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I am now a "believer" in Schwartz.

The 02 looks wonderful.The superlights will really make this

car POP.

Looking forward to updates.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Did you start it???

Nice work none the less! You have got to drive down to see me when its all done!

Todd

No, not yet. Driveshaft is connected and i have gears though. Need to put on the coil, distributor, e21 radiator and hook up some hosing.

Soon mate, soon!

Jonathan, Thanks - Should look nice dropped on the 'lites :-P

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Wow! Engine already in, you're hauling ass on this one!

Engine looks very clean, i'm digging the silver valve cover in the black engine bay. Really sets it off. Interesting air cleaner too, I've never seen one like that before.

Did I mention i'm envious of your lack of pedalbox?

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Great job, man do I love black Tii's

Unfortunatly its not a tii... but its black! Am i still cool? ;-P

Love to see some updates on yours Kris!

Tom

You are cool, no doubt ;.), your collection is brilliant.

My progress has been slow, mostly just paying for stuff that will eventually end up on the car.

70 M2 2.5L 

Great job, man do I love black Tii's

Unfortunatly its not a tii... but its black! Am i still cool? ;-P

Love to see some updates on yours Kris!

Tom

You are cool, no doubt ;.), your collection is brilliant.

My progress has been slow, mostly just paying for stuff that will eventually end up on the car.

Dont worry Kris, This car has been going on for 3 years so our positively flying compared to me! I know your going to have one hell of a tii when its done mate - just keep plugging away and you'll get there!

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky