• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is all grease bad for bushings?

bimmerboy

So i finally got too frustrated with my control arm bushings and brought them to my mechanics, who had them for a week, then charged me $40, i thought they were just doing it on their spare time. but any way, when i picked them up, i was told to "be careful, they have some grease on them" i didnt think twice about it, said "ok im pretty used to the stuff by now" and left. then at home i put them down on my brothers pants, he picks them up and says "thanks for getting grease on my pants" and then it hit me, grease and rubber usually dont get along down the road. so i looked closer, and its a dark brown grease, defently not lithium or anyhting. looks like pretty standard "axle" grease. what are the chances

A) They didnt think " well the quicker these wear out, the more buisness well get" and used a non damaging grease

B)they did think that, and now my bushings arent going to last as long as they should.

-Marty

'73 Atlantik-Hubert-

R 1 3

'-|--|

2 4

just wipe it off. they probably used grease to push them in easier.

as for the harm it could do, consider that the CV joints have rubber boots holding all that greasy mess within, and who's worried about that?

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

silicone grease (common brand name, "Sylglide") used for greasing brake caliper pistons and other applications around rubber. Doesn't attack rubber; that's what I used when I was installing my suspension bushings.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite