• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

parking brake cable issue when installing larger rear drums

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just wondering what recommendations I can get - the cables are new since the old ones were frayed, but they are at least 1-1.5" too short.

I have searched this subject and come up with cutting the tubes for the cables at the rear end or using turbo cables which don't seem to be a different part number from standard cables at any of the sources for parts I have checked.

Just wondering what people have experienced with this issue.

Thanks.

bridorf@gmail.com

When I upgraded my brakes I ordered the turbo cables from LaJolla. The cables I had on were rusty and no way would they reach. They were not worth keeping, so I figured I would give the turbo cables a try and they were plenty long enough. I don't know if they are the same part number or not, I just know they worked in my case.

YMMV

Don

73 - '02

88 - M3

88 - iX

I used the stock cables with the 320i drums after cutting 1/2 inch off the tubes underneath. Works perfectly. The threaded adjusters at the brake handle are out to the tip and the handle has a short throw (about 3 clicks) meaning I could have cut an inch off the bottom tubes and been OK. But I intentionally made a conservative cut because I didn't know how things might change once the shoes get worn down. I've only got about 400 miles on the system (restoration still in progress!) so I don't have a long term experience. Right now, it's perfect and I wouldn't do it any differently.

Good luck!

Jeff

Are the adjustment threads in the car at the handle all the way loose? I'm talking like on one nut and two threads?

I had a little trouble so I ground the lever arm on the shoe itself about 2-3mm. There is a hook that the cable fits into and that is what I ground so the cable had just a little bit more play. THe stock 2002 PB cables fit with 250mm drums. e21 cables are too long IIRC.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the help - I tried to get ahold of La Jolla but couldn't. I noted on most websites the part numbers for standard and turbo 2002s are the same, but if you look up the part numbers in the BMW catalog they are different. I already have new standard cables so I guess I need to decide if I try to make them work or spend more money. Even witht the shoes adjusted correctly the end at the lever is still about an inch from the holes on the lever

Has anyone actually cut away the tube and found that cutting .5" translated to more that .5" more cable at the lever end?

Are you sure everything is fitting properly? I've only been through about 4 or 5 different 02's & a couple of e21's but they all fit very well. I can't imagine being off by that much. Maybe you got a bad set of cables - take them to a local shop and have them swaged longer if you can find a similar fitting from McMaster carr or soemthing.

Where are you located? Any West marine will be able to swage on the threaded end and onto stainless wire. All you need now is the end fitting... try an aircraft supply shop maybe???

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Guest Anonymous

I had thought about swaging and lengthening the end at the shoes, but thought I would hit a specialty hardware store in the morning to look at some metric standoffs and studs to see about lengthening the threaded end at the lever.

yes! your idea will work. I had a seasoned Bimmer mechanic do mine using new stock cables... somehow he lengthened the threads with some fitting.

I'm sorry, i am out of town so can't look at the car to tell you exactly what he did. BUT, you are on the right track. You don't have to cut anything or buy any special cable.

It will be a while, but If I can figure out just what he did... I'll post it for everyone's benefit.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)