• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

no title

joe76bmw

I might be parting my 76 02 because having trouble getting a title for it. Bought car in 04 from a guy worked for a shop. He did not have title and i have tried since then to get one .

JOE AGUIRRE

".......the BMW 2002 is one of modern

cicilization's all time best way to

get somewhere sitting down"

Car & Driver

April 1968

lien sale it to yourself. Say that you have been storing it, then you put a lien on it. DMV will go to the last title holder and jack them for the amount. If they do not pay then DMV will release the title to you.

Works in Ca. Charge like $20 a day for the entire time you have had the car so that there is no possibilty of the last title holder paying up.

Good Luck

JB

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

Guest Anonymous

I have a similar problem with a '73 that has not been licensed for so long that there is no DMV record of a title on the car.

I thought that you had to be a shop to exercise the mechanic's lien option, I don't know about private citizens doing it, but it may be possible. There are people that run a business totally dedicated to do this thing, most dealers employ them (ask one for reference), for $20 bucks, they walk to paperwork to the DMV and complete the transaction.

FAQ Member # 91

Mechanics lien usually involves the person filing the lien (the lienor) has performed some type of service/labor, or has supplied parts, for which the person filing the lien has not been paid by the person who contracted to have the work done (the lienee).

76 Georgia Project

In Georgia you have to file a verification by the police that the car is not stolen and, due to the car being over 25 years old, you just need to give that with a bill of sale to the DMV (vehicles over 25 years of age do not require a title).

Usually the DMV website will tell you the steps they require to get your car registered. Of course, that doesn't solve the problem if you want the title or if the state requires you to have a title.

76 Georgia Project

I've used in Ohio--it's called an "assembled from parts" title--you bring in bills of sale for major components of your car along with a rubbing or photo of the VIN plate and they issue you a title. It's come in very handy in our antique car club when someone finds an old car to restore that's more or less abandoned and/or the owner has lost the title.

Check with your local DMV--there are usually ways around a lost title situation short of scrapping the car--particularly when it's 30+ years old and not particularly valuable.

Don't junk 'er yet!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On that same subject. I might be getting an 02 from a guy with no title. It belonged to his ex, but has been abandoned in HIS yard for over 10 years. What do I need to get from him to bring to the DMV? (I'm in WA state, so titles are necessary)

I'm new to this lien idea.

Dylan