• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Urethane Engine mounts

chuncomunco

I recently had my newly rebuilt engine put back in. I decided to go with yellow urethane engine mounts and one urethane tranny mount. The car vibrates 10X more compared to before.

I heard the urethane mounts are suppose to be better than the OE rubber ones. But does it transmit all the engines vibrations to the chassis?

(2760940) 1972 2002Tii Agave, Supersprint Headers, IE SS Exhaust, BMP SSK, Crane XR3000 w/ MSD Blaster, IE 284 cams, JB Racing Aluminum Flywheel, Seral 13x6

Urethane mounts are inded better at keeping the engine from oving around. This extra stifness translates into more vibriation. Did you buy the IE bushings? If so, they are great. But beware of pale imitations. A big blob of urethane with only one threaded rod going thru. This will transmit every single vibration.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

I recently replaced my engine/tranny mounts and went with a tranny mount from a 320i. I don't think that you can even get a 2002 tranny mount from BMW any more. The 320i mount is bigger and beefier and will tighten things up yet still keep the vibrations down. You will have to enlarge the bottom mount hole a little bit to fit the stud, but you will probably replace the new mount with an identical replacement when IT wears out(if ever), so don't sweat it. I don't notice much more vibration with the urethane motor mounts but have heard that the urethane tranny mount will transmit lots of shakes. You also will want to look into beefing up the driver's side mount where the urethane meets the subframe, cause it will eventually crack with the added stress the new mount will give it. There is lots of pics in the archieves on this proceure

yea, i bought it from ireland, it transmits a lot of vibration for some reason, like the my instrument panel vibrates like nuts, and the seat, and especially the steering wheel

(2760940) 1972 2002Tii Agave, Supersprint Headers, IE SS Exhaust, BMP SSK, Crane XR3000 w/ MSD Blaster, IE 284 cams, JB Racing Aluminum Flywheel, Seral 13x6

yea, i bought it from ireland, it transmits a lot of vibration for some reason, like the my instrument panel vibrates like nuts, and the seat, and especially the steering wheel

Try by keeping the urethane engine mounts, but remove the tranny urethane mounts. By experience, they transmit a lot of vibration.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

He kept braking exhaust pipes. Sheared right in half.

He replaced the mounts with OE rubber and the problem has not reoccurred.

I do not know what the advantage of urethane mounts are.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Try by keeping the urethane engine mounts, but remove the tranny urethane mounts. By experience, they transmit a lot of vibration.

Bingo. Its the tranny mounts. Even in my e30, it sounded like i had a freaking 7L race-prepped V8 under the hood when I put them in. I noticed NO increase in NVH with the engine mounts. These are IE mounts btw.

If you autox or track your car, the stock mounts on some cars have been known to shear/delaminate, allowing your engine and radiator to become best friends.

1990 325i

1976 2002

On my racecar I was running the urethane motor mounts with the rubber transmission mount, now I am not running a bmw transmission but a toyota corolla mated to a bavaria bellhousing. The vibration, due to the combo of the urethane and rubber caused the bolts holding the adapter plate to the tranny to break loose. I even safety wired and locited the bolts and the vibration was strong enough to actually break the safety wire, note to self I am now using the thickest wire. So I have switched back to the rubber motor mounts and built a "torque bar" to help with the motor from rocking so much.

dan rolfe

The Ireland Eurothane engine mounts are un-real. Makes a big differnece in putting the power to the pavement, not into twisting up the ol' rubber mounts... HOWEVER

As several have mentioned, the best idea is to combine this with a STD tranny mount. Otherwise, yes, you will be needing dental work.

Also, one thing that I beleive in is a braided-flex stainless piece in the exhause behind the header collector. This eliminates the engine/tranny vibration from transmitting through the rest of the exhaust.

------------

BigDog

'76 2002

So if you run the two urethane motor mounts and a rubber trans mount aren't you creating more stress on the crack-prone fron subframe?

I've had all three IE mounts in since late summer 2002, and it's not a daily driver, so the vibration at idle isn't that bad of a problem, but if I could get away with a rubber trans mount and still not break anything I'd give it a shot.

its pretty annoying having it vibrate like nuts since its my daily driver. I guess i might go with the OE rubber tranny mount and see how it goes. It seems like a few ppl have gotten away without damage.

If I hear about another person having major problems with the setup, i might just go back to OE engine mounts as well.