• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IT'S ALIVE!!! BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!

used2Bblue

Hello everyone out there in 2002faq-land! I did a pretty sorry job of putting myself out there when i joined the forum a little over a year ago, but as i have recently found some inspiration to get involved, will now attempt a better introduction. Hello, ich heiBe chris und ich habe ein 71 2002 (sunroof). Es ist heBligh, aber nicht mude oder kaput! Forgive my sorry german (sans umlauts), but MAN am i inspired! where to begin...

i am the proud owner of a 1971 (orig rivieria) 2002, and i put my first 9 miles on it today! 70% of it's satin black, it has one headlight (i cut the other buchet out to bang out the sins of the PO) no bumpers, no seatbelts, no front turnies, no grilles, no chrome, no trim, no backseat, no carpet, no doorpanels, no insulatin, no shame. it does have: a great dash, a very, very optimistic speedo (i can do 40 standing still and 120 in 3rd!), a working odometer, momo wheel, very straight body, mech dist, stahl headers, some good baltimore rust, bilsteins, a 2inch drop, e30 14in basketweaves, strut bars, swaybars, a dynamite motor, a lot of funny noises, historic tags (thank god!), and 3800 orig miles. She didnt run when i bought her, and Ive had her for 2 years without much progress, as im a 22yo art student with limited resto funds to undo the sins of the po. But i've been gaining knowledge for those years, and this past monday i put it all to use when i got her started up and drove her for the (almost) first time! She sounds georgious (a little loose in the valves, but that never hurt), drives straight, stops short, and has the stiffist suspension i've ever ridden (po chopped the stockers i think). Every pothole gives me the fright of my life, but when i step on the gas and wind her out, WOW! Makes my e30 seem like some kind of diazapam dependent hamster! I have no idea how fast i got it in that little quarter mile stretch, but i know my leaky vc gasket filled the cabin with delicious victory smoke afterward! I can finally share in the joy of not 2002 ownership, but 2002 pilotship? thanks paul wegweiser, to whom i traded some 45's for a lifetime of 2002 tutelage, and to anyone else who answers my dumb questions or supports my resto by buying some of my garage full of parts. pictures to come...maybe a blog.

so much rust, but now it's fast, black rust!

cool! Good on ya.

I remeber that day for me. When I got my one just about nothing worked. Then 6-8 months later she fired up blowing enough smoke to cover the house (im not kidding, I smoked screened an entire house). Now 4 years later its low stiff and 50% they way through megasquirt install. I managed to hold onto my 2002 through all sorts of life events (many house moves, an OE etc). Love it every time a mile stone is acheived. Just cant wait for the FI.

congrats of the first 9 miles!!

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"

thanks man, iv'e been struttin' around with an " i'm gonna eat some Integras" grin on my face all week! can wait until i drive her down to class tomorrow and pick up some art school chicks in my hip, retro, uber-dangerous little car...

so much rust, but now it's fast, black rust!

Congrats on the 02!!

You are in very good hands with Paul and Bill W.Hope to see the beast..

Enjoy

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

heh, i remember how fun it was just to drive mine up and down my side street with no tags on it at all. Once I finally got it safety checked and put plates on it, I just drove it all around Oahu all day long. :)

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Guest Anonymous

Heart felt Kudos to ya Chris! You got the brakes working perfectly...now some seatbelts and signals. Once you get it there - we'll throw it up on the lift some Saturday and find out if the suspension is about to betray you (ie: chuck you headfirst into a schoolbus filled with children or a crowd full of old ladies on their way home from church!)

seriously though - your car is one sick cool-assed ratrod beauty to me. Let's get 'er reliable and safe - then we'll work on the style some more!

I want some photos of that thing, too. It's too cool.

For those of you wondering - the same "previous owner" of this poor car also spraypainted the INSIDE of the DCOEs I now run. It took me dozens of hours to restore them before I could put 'em on Emily. I've helped Chris remove items like "red waterpump pulley"..."silver spraybombed radiator", and "blue valve cover' ugliness. Restoring a certain amount of dignity under the hood.

Way ta' go Chris - you'll be an excellent 02 owner!

Paul

I want some photos of that thing, too. It's too cool.

I'll second that. Post some photos!

You waited two years ... that's great. These cars require patience and longterm commitment. Keeping it running and getting time behind the wheel can be precious as life always seems get in the way. Just remember, it's worth it when you get moments like your first 9 miles!

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE