• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Rear End Noise...............

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just noticed a noise coming from I think is the back of the car. It is a clicking sound that increases/decreases with increased/decreased wheel speed. It sounds like something is hitting something else when the wheel turns. I only notice it when turning and it fades off once going straight.

also to add, I have old springs that are sagging and need to be replaced, noticeably in the back. I have bilstein HD's all around. I'm in the process of ordering new ones... the strut mounts were also old, but still had a bit of life left in them....

any thoughts would be appreciated

thanks,

Baron

chamonix 73tii

portland,or

I just noticed a noise coming from I think is the back of the car. It is a clicking sound that increases/decreases with increased/decreased wheel speed. It sounds like something is hitting something else when the wheel turns. I only notice it when turning and it fades off once going straight.

also to add, I have old springs that are sagging and need to be replaced, noticeably in the back. I have bilstein HD's all around. I'm in the process of ordering new ones... the strut mounts were also old, but still had a bit of life left in them....

any thoughts would be appreciated

thanks,

Baron

chamonix 73tii

portland,or

Could be your exhaust hitting - or your rear brakes, diff, front rotors or any number of things. Grab the tailpipe and give a shake. If you hear it hit something that's your noise. It'll sound VERY different outside with the motor off than inside the car with the motor on.

New hangers will usually do the trick.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

going straight could be a failing or loose rear wheel bearing...after you eliminate the other things--exhaust hitting the driveshaft, loose wheel, tire rubbing, dying or loose rear shock absorber bushings etc, try jacking up each rear wheel in turn and carefully spinning it to see if you can feel any bearing roughness while you turn the wheel...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Its most likely a bad CV joint. My car made the same kind of noise only on left turns and it turned out being my left outer CV joint. I didn't notice anything by looking at the CV when the car was still but when I put it on a lift and had it in gear I could see the outer CV wasn't doing it job. For the time being I just turned the axle shaft around and have the bad CV on the inside where it doesn't have to move as much. It seems to have taken care of the noise completely.

• Like 1