• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Few minor restoration questions

lsixt

Started my project about 6 years ago. 1974 2002 sunroof - nothing fancy to start. I'm doint a total "custom" restoration, every bolt removed, acid bath, etc. etc. It's starting to look like a real car again (see photos).

Q. Interior foam - how do you do it? All the original foam is shot and I have no clue where any of it went anyway. I kept the original "skins" that run up the pillars, and inside front windscreen, etc. but how do you pad it to form?

Q. Same for headliner. What's under the headliner? It's held up with rods, but is that it? Just hang it up? I refoamed the piece under the roof that the interior dome light is attached to, but that's it.

Q. I bought new flush front side lights. These lights only have ONE connector and the origingal "bug" side lights have two. Do the newer one's only need one wire? What do I do with the extra wire?

Q. I have seen several posts about the wire harness. I re-wrapped mine with plain old electrical tape and have it strung front to back, with a mess of wires under the dash.. I don't have a model car to see where everything goes so I'm just going to have to take it slow. Unless there is an easier way?

Q. Fuse box.. I think I got the thing plugged in properly, but if not and I apply power to it, what if any harm can come of it if it's not plugged properly?

Thanks,

Len

post-1447-13667572849323_thumb.jpg

post-1447-13667572850907_thumb.jpg

post-1447-13667572852387_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

For the euro turn signals in order to get parking lights and turn signal function you need "tap-a-lites" from U-Haul. You can order them from U-Haul online and they'll ship to your door for 5 bucks a pair and no shipping. Put a piece of electrical tape on the butt of the bulb and the two wires from the bulb get connected to the 2 wires on your car. I just did this last week so it's fresh in my head.

-Chris in Davis, CA

Jeez, I wish I could really help you.

For foam under your carpets, just use reagular old house padding.

Your euro lights a few folks have posted on that but you can get ' tap a light' from Uhaul that will connect those up without you rewiring. Now some folks don't like that but it's simple and only costy a few bucks.

I don't know crap about the wiring harness maybe you can find something here to help you out.

http://www.my2002tii.com/your2002tii.htm

Your car looks good by the way, good luck

1. Interior foam padding on the windshield and B pillars--the original stuff was just thin foam--I've replaced it with the really cheap thin carpet padding that carpet stores sell as a loss leader. It really compresses so you can tack-glue it in place and then stretch the black vinyl cover over it. Easy job.

2. Turn signal--if you're not gonna use your old bulge style turn signals, simply drill out the hollow rivets that hold the lens/frame to the bulb holder. Be sure and save the little spacers that will fall out. Then go down to the hardware store and get a couple of brass ferrules that are used to connect plastic tubing to compression fittings. The hardware store guy knows what those are if you don't. Take your lens and bulb holder with you so you can match up the size. Then assemble the flat lens/frame with the two filament bulb holder from the old turn signal housing, spread the tubular rivet end to hold 'em together and you're in business.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Those "tap-a-lite" connectors can be had at any parts store in the electrical or trailer section.

For the foam you can attach it with spray adhesive, I like the 3M super/high temp product the best source it at Lowes or Home Despot, it is exspensive but it works well.

I just remove my headliner and there was foam in between the rails (where it is just sheet metal). I am planning on adding a layer of dynamat type stuff when I put mine back, you would not believe how much sound actually comes through the roof.

Good Luck.

JB

p.s. you've got mail

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)