• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 VS Hyundai Elantra

65V8wagon

Please don't beat me down for the subject heading, but I have a serious question for a group of people who know a lot more about it than I do. I am buying a car for my 17-year-old daughter. It needs to be reliable, economical, and get her from now until college graduation. We have been looking mostly at Hyundai Elantras because for about $5K we can get a 2001 with less than 75,000 miles and all the bells and whistles. The car gets great reviews in it's segment.

Now however I have run across a friend who wants to sell me her 1976(?) 2002 for a little less than my $5K price point. She is the second owner and looked for months before finding the right one some years ago. It is a garage queen with an automatic and about 109,000 miles (only a couple thousand the past few years). The motor was rebuilt at 85,000 miles. It is in beautiful condition in every way I can see.

Now the question - if I buy the 2002 will it likely continue to be reliable and trouble-free for my daughter to drive to and from college for the next four years? What trouble spots should I watch for and what kind of gas mileage could my daughter expect? Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!

I wouldn't let your kid drive a 2002, it's going to be too much work for you, seriously...

Here's a choice a friend made... He got tired of his 16yo daugter always borrowing the family 'benz. So...

He acquired a 1997 Ford Mustang 4-cylinder. Gutless as hell. Safe. Good economy, reliable, and the kid doesn't look like too much of a dork driving it around.

YMMV

-----------------

BigDog

'76 2002

I am having the same battle with myself. The o2 should turn 25-27 mpg if everything is right. 30 years old vs. 10 years old for a college student I hate to say this but go japanese. I would actually go for a toyota or an acura and get her the o2 for graduation.

JB

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

The 02 could work but she would have to love the car enough to accept all it's technological inadequacies. She would also need to start building up a tool box. There are also better choices out there than a Korean car in your price range.

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

I'd go for the 2002. Whatever maintenance issues it may come up with may not be any different that on the Hyundai . It seems like the P/O took great care of it and if she's a family friend she wouldn't want your daughter in something that would break down.

In 4-5yrs when she's done with college the car should still be worth what you paid for it. The Hyundai will not be worth nearly as much.

If she drove around an 02, people will notice her more than in the elantra. Also her friends will always know which car is hers cause....how often do you see someone driving our cars? My friends used to tell me when i first got it that it looked like came straight out of europe in the 60s 70s.

-Ryan

icon.jpg

The bumperless wonder.

FWIW My wife gets compliments (or gets hit on) once or twice every week, without fail, in her very pretty Pastelblau ' 76. And she's got an unwritten list of about 10 women friends who say, "if you ever want to sell your car I want to buy it". Right now she says, " lo siento" (sorry). And she would probably come up with handsome, responsible (all 2002 owners are) guys willing to assist her w/ minor, regular maintenance procedures.

Bob Napier (Portland native and UO alumnus).

Have you asked your daughter what she would like to drive??

Does she want to drive around in a car that will draw a lot of attention, or something that will blend in? Also there is a lot to be said for power locks, when you're loaded down with books, power steering for parallel parking for a 17 year old, and stuff like that.

Are you going to be there to look after the car for her when things go wrong? Will she have to drive it in snow and salt?

Also, a japanese car (or Korean) will be able to be repaired most anywhere.

Although we bought Nick's '02 when he was 14 and he is still driving it 5-years later, I don't know that it would be my first choice. Personally, I'd lean toward a late model 89-91 E30. My younger Son drives a '91 318ic and it is a great car. You can pickup a nice coupe for $3K and have plenty of $ for upgrades.

e46-330ci, e46-325ci Vert., e36-328is, e30-325is, M20-2002, K110, K75, '71 Jeepster Commando

Get a Volvo 240. It's like a bigger, stronger, slower 2002 with better brakes. That doesn't rust as badly. In short, it's perfect for a teenager. Easy to work on too. There are plenty of late 80s/early 90s examples floating around, so take your time and find a good one. An e30 BMW is similar in many ways to the Volvo (but not as slow) in terms of safety and cost.

I wouldn't recommend a 2002 because it's not likely to be as reliable (until you've invested more time and money to bring it up to snuff mechanically) and because with their tiny brake lights (round and square) they get rear-ended all the time. My 76 got totalled this way several years ago. I was lucky--my back only hurt for about a week. You hear about accidents like this with 2002s all the time.

And you don't need to pay $5k for either the Volvo or the e30. That's too much anyways, IMHO, for a person who's that young.

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

Get the Hyundai. I love 02s, or I wouldn't be here, and my apologies to 02 fans the world over- however, they are not up to modern safety standards. The Sonata has a 5 star crash test rating. I refurbished an E30 for my daughter. It has an airbag, crash zones and ABS, but it is probably nowhere near as safe as a Sonata. Moreover, the Hyundai has a 100K miles drivetrain warranty, and it is likely to provide significantly better fuel mileage.

Unless you are readily available to maintain an 02 for your daughter, don't even think about it.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Thank you all for the excellent thoughts! It says a lot that the '02 attracts such a great group of owners. I have a lot to think about based on your great input.

Just a couple general things: I can work on the car if necessary although my daughter will be going to Oregon State next year (respects to Bob Napier) which is about 75 miles down the road and I'd like to have the best chance to never leave her stranded. I also agree $5K is too much for a 17-year old. But with 4 kids my deal is that I get a good car and cover insurance and cell phone, but they earn their way through college. For her part I haven't gotten solid feedback on her preferences since the opportunity came up today, but I'll close that loop. And finally, I'm presuming that $4500 is a decent price for an '02 in great shape. I do like the idea that the car is still worth about what I paid rather than being ready to recycle however.

Thanks again for the excellent help - I came to the right people.

Best thing my parents ever did was lock up grandpa's '02 and NOT LET ME DRIVE the 02! Honestly... I'm in a tux tonight and (bored) still prepared to change a tire, belt or fuse. Dont mess around with a nice car thats not 100 ready to go cross country tomorrow.

Get her the car with airbags and ABS - it's her ans her friends life. 02's are cool but unless she is already able to wrench her own car then forget it.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76