• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the weak point of the M10 motor?

Pinepig

I plan on doing a turbo motor for my 75 this winter. Forged pistons at about 8-1 are a must, what about the rods and crank? How much will they hold before bad things shoot out the side of the block. I've read that the HG can be a problem also, will ARP head studs and a metal gasket be enough?

Realistically I'm looking for about 200hp on pump gas but 100 low lead is real easy to come by for me so say 300 at the wheels is probably all I'll ever ask of it.

What's it gonna take ( parts wise ) to hold together?

One last thing, what clutch and PP setup will I need to use?

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

i'M GOING TO RUN A METAL GASKET, ARP STUDS - I HEAR STANDARD RODS ARE GOOD FOR 500HP - RACE BEARINGS AND RACE MODIFIED ROCKER ARMS WITH SS VALVES. I HEAR THE MAIN BEARINGS ARE THE REAL WEAK POINT ALONG WITH THE ROCKER ARMS. IM ALSO GOING TO USE A WINDAGE TRAY AND ARP ROD BOLTS. MY CLUTCH WILL BE A VARIATION OF AN M5/M30 CLUTCH - I THINK

I plan on doing a turbo motor for my 75 this winter. Forged pistons at about 8-1 are a must, what about the rods and crank? How much will they hold before bad things shoot out the side of the block. I've read that the HG can be a problem also, will ARP head studs and a metal gasket be enough?

Realistically I'm looking for about 200hp on pump gas but 100 low lead is real easy to come by for me so say 300 at the wheels is probably all I'll ever ask of it.

You're not asking that much of the motor. The problem is with revvs more than with power. Use ARP all around - head, rods, bearings, cams, everything. Also with a turbo it's heat - and 8:1 may be an issue (may need to go lower). There is a HUGE difference between 200hp on pump gas and 300hp at the wheels - HUGE!!!

Do some serious homework because it's not cheap to do what you are looking to do. Intercoolers are a good thing - Fuel delivery is a good thing - add another injector or make sure you get your sensors dialed in because if it starts running lean you're screwed. Take a look at some Saab & Volvo designs at the boneyards for ideas - also remember that it's not going to give you power until you're under boost so remember to plan accordingly.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Guest Anonymous

I've never experienced a main bearing failure on a propoerly set-up block. Lots of rod bearings though.

Baffle the pan, improve flow to bearings (radius oil holes, polish oil passeges, shim pump etc) oil ring block.

In a turbo motor detonation is the devil, make sure your piston works well with your combustion chamber you need good squich / quench. No places for mixture to get orphaned.

O-ring block, arp studs etc.

I'm familiar with how boosted aplications work.

I have a 9.25 to 1 Supercharged Corrado running about 14lbs on pump gas.

2 liter block, P&P head, SS valves , forged pistons, yada yada yada

Looks alot like this, well because it is mine,

engb1.jpg

A/W intercooler that I made.

I'm not to worried about the tuning so much, I have some friends with excellent knowledge to back me up.

ARP all the way around, stock rods are OK.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

To avoid combustion, I'm going to being a 318i head with 8:1 pistons.

I was thinking about using the same head. Don't need the fuel pump boss and I really don't even care which way the distributor spins.

I'm crank trigger on megasquirt already.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

from what I've read, and I'm doing the same thing you are, the stock pistons are weak

what will you be using for spark/fuel management?

edit

ahh nevermind I see your on megasquirt/trigger already

I ordered my MS2 last night, just need to get a pulley for the crank trigger for mine

74 2002, 95 M3, 01 X5

heh just thought of something... loose nut behind wheel??? LMAO sorry i know im dumbe.. ;-p

I'm familiar with how boosted aplications work.

I have a 9.25 to 1 Supercharged Corrado running about 14lbs on pump gas.

2 liter block, P&P head, SS valves , forged pistons, yada yada yada

Looks alot like this, well because it is mine,

engb1.jpg

A/W intercooler that I made.

I'm not to worried about the tuning so much, I have some friends with excellent knowledge to back me up.

ARP all the way around, stock rods are OK.

NICE! too bad its FWD... ;-)

(i am an old-skool GEN2 H2o VW hed...(had gen1 GTi, then two gen2 16v jettas)... gen III was the beginning of the end for VW.... ;-p)