• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOMO wheel

Guest Anonymous

do the test Steve described...make sure the ground wire/strap is intact that bridges the fabric coupler between the steering box and steering column. If the strap/wire is broken, the ground path for the horn button is pretty chancy...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

aside: i've got some italian 3 spoke wheel, not sure what manufacturer. nothing valuable though. anyways, there is a hole inside to house the copper rod that connects the button to the disc on the steering column.

problem is i don't have a spring or whatever is necessary to keep the rod seated against the ring on the column.

is this different for all wheels? or is there a part number i can get so i can finally drive with a horn? (it's been 19 months i've driven w/o one!)

1969 2002 Automatic "Pumpkin"

Guest Anonymous

I am having horn issues to. What do you mean when you say take the horn out? Do you mean disassembel it from the car to operational check it? I will look for the wire you are refering to via the shop manual. Then I will touch them to see if it works. I replaced the original steering wheel with a 320is leather variant. It has the big horn button in the middle. More questions to come, thanks.

Cram

the horn button.

If memory serves me correctly, the 2002 had a spring loaded pin that inserts into the steering wheel adaptor and tracks around a brass ring that is attached to the steering column. Bonus answer, if the steering column is not centered in the brass ring, the brass pin on the adaptor will break. The pin will rotate to the inside of the brass ring and as it trys to come back up, it breaks right off. Snapped two of them before I realized what was wrong.

I believe the e-21 or 320is were in the reverse, (ring on the wheel and the pin on the steering column). So I am not sure what you do to make the e-21 steering wheel work on the the 2002 but I know many here have. They will chime in with a credible answer.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5