• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amber Antifreeze

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have used them all and not suffered any undue consequences. Anyone use the HOAT "permanent" formula marketed by PEAK?

The archives suggest there may be an issue with silicates falling out of solution and becoming abrasive. Just cause they're in bread does not mean I wnat them in my radiator.

Thoughts, anyone??

TIA

Is not recommended for systems with lead soldered radiators. It leaches out the lead and creates leakes. Check antifreeze web sites for more info.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Guest Anonymous

Could you please elaborate on your horrible experiences?

I certainly dont have all the answers. But because something is green or has a "BMW" logo on it does not guarantee the best product available. From what I've read on the net, the gold stuff (recommended by Mercedes) should be acceptable.

Guest Anonymous

Dear Ingraham:

Your reputation regarding radiators is certainly well known and I therefore value your opinion. Do you have any experience with this amber antifreeze (the same stuff mercedes and chrysler recommend?)

My Mercedes friends claim its the best stuff around without any of the issues associated with green, red or blue antifreeze. The information gleaned from the net "seems" to bear this out.

I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, but bad weather has given me time to ponder the issue. Thanks.

Standard major brand Green stuff years ago in my '76 had a fair amount of corrosion in a typical two year coolant cycle. This was stuff that was labeled "safe" for aluminum heads. I pulled the cooling system apart on my tii and even though it had a change in the past year with some sort of green stuff there was still some noticeable corrosion on the internals.

I've used the BMW stuff from day one in my '97 M3. The last coolant change had NO noticeable corrosion. The water passages looked brand new, incredible after nearly 90k and 8 years (with regular 2 year changes)

You can go ahead and try the "amber" stuff if you want. Not sure who its made by and what the formulation is. It might prove to be fine, or you could end up with a mess.

YMMV

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

I recommend BMW coolant for BMWs with plastic cooling system parts; that would be late 1970s and later cars and older cars retrofitted with plastic & aluminum radiators. The low pH is kind to plastic parts.

Daimler Chrysler G-05 coolant is a good alternative to BMW coolant, and it's more widely available. I think Zerex makes a G-05 coolant now, too.

I recommend good quality ethylene glycol coolant for older cars with all-metal (i.e. copper, brass, and lead solder) radiators. That means most 2002s.

Change the coolant every two years. Do not mix antifreeze types. When switching, flush thoroughly. (Yes, you can mix certain types, but who can keep track of all these types and colors?)

The "permanent" and "long life" coolants were developed with the goal of reducing preventive maintenance costs for owners who are averse to maintenance. That is not the BMW 2002 FAQ group, and those are not miracle potions. If you use one of them, change it every two years.

Finally, it is not possible to form a valid conclusion about any particular coolant type based on the experience of one person with one engine.

Those are my opinions, and they are based on the advice of people in the auto industry.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

I recommend BMW coolant for BMWs with plastic cooling system parts; that would be late 1970s and later cars and older cars retrofitted with plastic & aluminum radiators. The low pH is kind to plastic parts.

Daimler Chrysler G-05 coolant is a good alternative to BMW coolant, and it's more widely available. I think Zerex makes a G-05 coolant now, too.

I recommend good quality ethylene glycol coolant for older cars with all-metal (i.e. copper, brass, and lead solder) radiators. That means most 2002s.

Change the coolant every two years. Do not mix antifreeze types. When switching, flush thoroughly. (Yes, you can mix certain types, but who can keep track of all these types and colors?)

The "permanent" and "long life" coolants were developed with the goal of reducing preventive maintenance costs for owners who are averse to maintenance. That is not the BMW 2002 FAQ group, and those are not miracle potions. If you use one of them, change it every two years.

Finally, it is not possible to form a valid conclusion about any particular coolant type based on the experience of one person with one engine.

Those are my opinions, and they are based on the advice of people in the auto industry.

totally agree! save the blue stuff for the plastic garbage BMW sells nowadays... oh wait, i have a plastic-tanked e21 rad!! basic green prestone is all you need. its like with oil, the best stuff is the stuff you WILL CHANGE REGULARLY!! ;)