• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tie-Rod Puller 266H on Steering Arm/Center Arm?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

After a few posts and a few hours under my Tii, I still can't break the connection between the steering arm and the center rod.

Can someone assure me that the 266H from Bavauto does this job? The o.d. of the steering arm base is 1" (2.5+cm) so the claws must be smaller than that. I assume it will damage the center rod plastic dust cover when attached, as there is no gap at present to insert claws.

Any experience (or alternative) is appreciated,

Thanks,

Paul Winterton

Vancouver, Canada

73 Inca Tii

I recently got that one off just fine without a puller. I've finally gotten the ole hammer method worked out, and its far easier than I once thought.

Just take off the nut, soak it in PB Blaster, spin the steering wheel so that the pittman arm rests against something solid, then whack the pittman arm in the SIDE. Not the top of the stud, but the side, which will shock things and it'll slide right out.

If you still have that tie rod connected, you should jack up the left control arm with a floorjack to take the vertical tension off that side of things. This helps more with removing the tie rods themselves, but probably isn't as important for removing the pittman arm to center link balljoint.

Atleast I'm saying its easy today... tomorrow i'm going to attempt the same thing on a rusty 76, from which i'm harvesting the steering box.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

As others have said.

266H does not work on the center track rod.

It would not go on the tie rod end to center track rod due to obstruction of the center rod.

I had to hammer it on to the pitman are joint, destroying the balljoint of the center track rod (that I am replacing).

It did slide right on the outer tire rod end though.

Harbour freight item 1752 is too large of opening: 1-5/16"

but item 36861 is a 1-1/16 opening and just fit on the tie rod to center rod joint and worked like a dream.

It was too wide of a gap to use on pitman arm joint.

36861.gif

SMALL TIE ROD & PITMAN ARM PULLER

Forged carbon steel. Fits arms from 1-1/16'' to 1-3/4''.

ITEM 36861

$6.99

Good luck.

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

As I mentioned, I did this again yesterday at a junkyard on a rusted out 76....

I was harvesting the steering box.

I had some trouble because the junk car had no wheels, and was buried in dirt. I then remembered in order to get the right solid whack onto the pittman arm to knock it loose, I had to have my full body under the car and swing the hammer toward the outside of the car to hit the pittman arm. There was no way I would've gotten underneath that rusted out junker... and I couldn't find another way of accessing it to get a solid whack.

I ended up popping off both outer tie rods and the idler arm (had room to whack it easy), and pulled the whole frickin thing out, steering box with tie rods. Then I set it down on a rock and gave it a solid whack with the sledge, and it popped right out.

Hopefully with your car you can safely get under it to do the same job.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser