• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel too low?

Whale

Does anyone else have this problem?

When I drive I feel like I am giving birth, thats how "splayed" my legs are apart just because the steering wheel is situated too low.

I have a 15' Moto-Lita wheel, but I'm thinking of selling it and going to something much smaller. Anyone have any ideas or remedies (other than having my legs chopped off at the knees)?

Also, with a 13" or 14" wheel, is there a considerable difference in the strength needed to turn at lower speeds?

Too low? If you had the stock wheel in place I'd agree with you..but even with that wheel I always thought the steering wheel/column was mounted on the higher side....

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

A 13" or 14" wheel will increase steering effort during parallel parking and lowspeed turns.

I use a 380mm Petri sport wheel from a BMW 3.0CSL on my '73tii instead of the 14" Momo that came with it. Much nicer!

PS.

The Surgeon General may frown upon giving birth while driving...

and...

possibly...

I'm trying to put this as delicately as I can...

Does your board name have anything to do with this steering wheel problem?

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

(CRACKING UP)

That was put very delicately Delia. But no, my girth is not an issue. Not yet, at least.

My user name simply rhymes with my real name... Dale.

As for my seats being too high, I have PROCAR SCAT seats and they seem to be down as far as a seat can possibly sit on the factory frame. I am 6'1" though, so my long legs appear to be the problem here.

Since others find their steering hweels too high, perhaps a PO moed the column down with spacers. I'll have to check it out later today.

Dale

Hey, Whale. I had the same problem with my '76. I could't fit because the steering wheel was in the way, and I have a 15" Momo wheel. I had to remove the center console and the drivers seat. I also removed the frame that the seat sits on. I replaced the seat with a low racing seat and some lame ass homemade seat brackets. Now with the seat lower, I was also able to move the seat further back and that also helped. I had to do this cause I'm 6'5" and 275+lbs and the stock car was way to cramped for me. Now my 02 is so much more roomy, and I can drive for hours without getting those nasty leg cramps!

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Well, I looked over my steering column and it looks normal to me. No modifications. Maybe my seats are high compared to others, but they don't seem too bad.

I think that I will sell or trade off my 15" Moto Lita steering wheel for a smaller wheel. If that doesn't work, I will cut my brackets down and lower my butt to the deck.

It's either that or I go in for a double leg amputation.

If anyone has a 14" steering wheel with a suitable hub (preferably after market) that they would like to trade, let me know.

Dale

I'd consider trading my 14" Momo and hub for your larger Moto-Lita wheel and hub.

Gotta pic?

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com