• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

regarding pedal box refurb

robsanab

the FAQ gives a list of about 6 various bushings and 3 springs to replace (for a total of about 35 bucks it says). Rob at 2002haus sells a ‘kit’ with some more stuff in it... sells for just over $100. He says it includes some metal sleeves (?) as well… I didn’t ask specifically what all is included.

What is your experience with the pedal box rebuild? Does it typically require more than what the FAQ recommends?

Rob is definitely in the know about such things... and I for sure want to have all the parts needed once I dive into the project. I guess I just want to know why these other parts aren't mentioned in the FAQ... maybe they aren't really needed.

Should I only order just what is listed in the FAQ and save some money? What do you think?

side note: Furthermore, when I called Carl Nelson at LaJolla... he said he doesn't have a 'kit' because usually the box just needs a good cleaning and it doesn't need any new bushings. He said these bushing are "big" and don't wear out easily (that's why I ended up calling Rob). What do yall think about that?

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

I changed the bushings because they were cheap and I had them out to install a new pedal box. The steel sleeves weren't worn in my pedal box, I would think they would need to be replaced if they got rusty, but I can't picture them wearing out.

I got a complete refurbished one for $175 from 2002AD in Los Angeles, but then again mine was really bad.

post-1349-13667569567599_thumb.jpg

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

you mean they sent it to you all built already? If so, did you send yours in for rebuild or do they send you one complete and you sent in, what, the pedals and box like you would a core swap?

Rob

It's a straight purchase, nothing to be sent in, nothing to exchange.

Copy and paste the link below in your browser:

http://www.2002ad.com/storeworks/view_item.cfm?id=2010

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

It depends on what you need and where you are at in the rebuild of your car. If you are just trying to fix something and keep it going for now, just get what you need, fix it, then go back in later when you have the funds and time.

If you can afford it right now, and have the time, order the full-out kit, pull the pedal box, totally rebuild it and then forget about it for another 30 years.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

It depends on what you need and where you are at in the rebuild of your car. If you are just trying to fix something and keep it going for now, just get what you need, fix it, then go back in later when you have the funds and time.

If you can afford it right now, and have the time, order the full-out kit, pull the pedal box, totally rebuild it and then forget about it for another 30 years.

I have to disagree... having done a LOT of unnecssary work to my car, i agree with the previous caller. Take it apart and see what you really need. Why order $60+ worth of stuff you dont need and may never need? See, the reason why I really say that is, if that pattern continues, for every $30 of stuff you need, youre spending more than twice that on stuff you dont. extrapolate that out, and suddenly a $15000 resto is costing 50+ (whether you total yer reciepts or not! ;-p). p.s. ask me how i know!! :-p

so the general consensus so far seems to be that...

1) The FAQ article states sort of a minimum of things you may have to replace (they're cheap so just have them on hand).

2) To rebuild a box complete it will cost about $100 (according to 2002haus... which I found out even includes pedal pads, that rubber boot, some of the metal parts and such).

3) Or you can buy a totally refurbished one if your entire assembly, even the box itself, is in crappy shape for $175 from 2002AD.

If the above is true, maybe a little addendum should be written to the pedal box refurb FAQ? of course it DOES say "refurb" and NOT "rebuild". Was just a little confused. Now, after reading yalls emails and getting to study the box last night, I think I see things more clearly.

thanks all!

Rob

so the general consensus so far seems to be that...

1) The FAQ article states sort of a minimum of things you may have to replace (they're cheap so just have them on hand).

2) To rebuild a box complete it will cost about $100 (according to 2002haus... which I found out even includes pedal pads, that rubber boot, some of the metal parts and such).

3) Or you can buy a totally refurbished one if your entire assembly, even the box itself, is in crappy shape for $175 from 2002AD.

If the above is true, maybe a little addendum should be written to the pedal box refurb FAQ? of course it DOES say "refurb" and NOT "rebuild". Was just a little confused. Now, after reading yalls emails and getting to study the box last night, I think I see things more clearly.

thanks all!

Rob