Guest Anonymous

No oil pressure after fresh oil and clacking sounds 71 2002

4 posts / 977 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

My 71 2002 sat for a few months, and before starting it I changed the oil and filter, ran it and realized it was not sounding too good and I was not getting oil pressure. Clacking noise from bottom end. It was running beautifully before it sat. I used lucas engine formula, because it is so thick does it take a lot longer for the oil to circulate? Could I have a broken pump chain? Help me with any information please.

Good Day

how thick is thick? if you don't have any oil the valves can make noise and it will sound like bottom end... It could be your oil pump chain but if it is you're REALLY lucky that it didn't get caught up in the crank gears. Only way to tell is to pull the pan. First If I were you I'd drain the oil, change the filter and use normal stuff per your owner's manual...

1. Disconnect coil so the engine won't start

2. Remove oil pressure warning light sender unit (next to the dizzy on the cyl head.)

3. Crank engine with the starter. Oil should spurt out the sender unit hole after a few seconds (faster if you remove the spark plugs so the engine spins faster)

If no oil comes out, you've got either a plugged filter, a dead oil pump/chain. a stuck engine oil pressure relief valve or that mouse milk additive has plugged something up. Hope it's the pressure relief valve on the oil filter...and...you haven't damaged something by driving with no oil pressure.

cheers

mike