• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any info on these bump steer correctors?

peteinjp

these also correct bump by restoring control arm to an angle at which camber will be decreased(negative) with the compression of the strut. Right now my control arms are almost parallel to the ground. That means that when the strut is compressed passed the point where the outside pivot of the control arm is above the plavne of the subframe the camber will be increased (positive) at exactly the moment it should be decreased in order to compensate for roll. Also these are the first ones I have seen that only have 2 bolts going to the struts. THe 3rd is shaved off. Kinda wonder if that is safe!

post-147-13667568805202_thumb.jpg

I don't get it, how will bump be affected.

By fitting shorter springs, thus lowering the body, the camber will change so the schimmer spacers make up that, yet the relationship between the steering arms and rods and the lower tca would still be the same wouldn't it? they are both mounted on the subframe below the spacer, so bump would not change.

only about 1.5 cm thick. The cars being lowered say 50 cm would not be corrected so much in terms of bump or in terms or developing negative caster as the strut is compressed. I thought bump was about the relatonship of the inner and outer tie rod ball joints relative to the pivot points of the control arm. The track(tie) rods are longer between their pivots than the control arms and as such has a different arc thus "steering" the wheel as the assemble reaches the extremes of its range of motion. If that is the case then correcting the situation for a lowered car would mean bringing the pivots back towards the center of the total range of motion. However there is a limitation in terms of wheel size. On a 13 inch wheel these spacers may cause the bottom of the ball joint to foul against the rim. In that case the bump could only be correct with a spacer between the outer tie rod and the steering arm.

only about 1.5 cm thick. The cars being lowered say 50 cm would not be corrected so much in terms of bump or in terms or developing negative caster as the strut is compressed. I thought bump was about the relatonship of the inner and outer tie rod ball joints relative to the pivot points of the control arm. The track(tie) rods are longer between their pivots than the control arms and as such has a different arc thus "steering" the wheel as the assemble reaches the extremes of its range of motion. If that is the case then correcting the situation for a lowered car would mean bringing the pivots back towards the center of the total range of motion. However there is a limitation in terms of wheel size. On a 13 inch wheel these spacers may cause the bottom of the ball joint to foul against the rim. In that case the bump could only be correct with a spacer between the outer tie rod and the steering arm.

not going to affect bump steer at all.

Which is good, as we don't have any, and really

wouldn't want some.

But they will lower the lower control arm in an attempt to get more negative camber as the suspension compresses.

Worth it? Perhaps, if it doesn't pop off in a hard corner...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

What you are saying is about right, but remember you are not changing the vertical,transvers or lateral distance between the TCA inner mount and the track rod as both are mounted on the subframe so whatever you do to the subframe you do to both.

At the outer end, the track rod and the TCA are both mounted below the spacer, so there relationship does not change either, no change in bump.

Whether the ball joints touch the wheel is another problem to be dealt with bigger rims or spacers or inset.

Korman has them.Here`s a quote from their 2002 suspension catalogue;

Lower Decamber Plates for BMW 1600/ 2002

For lowered cars only. Corrects geometry of lower control arm, improves negative camber angles under hard cornering. Machined from hardened T-6 aluminum.

P/N 31082002

Mal.

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400318 resto

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400178 parts

RHD 1800 NK sedan VIN 0998094 parts

RHD 320i E21 5 speed parts

RHD 1602 ? twin mikunis,5 speed. POS driver