• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed output flange help

trangieboy

G`day everyone,i have an E21 5 speed i bought to put into my `67 NK sedan.Trouble is the 5 speed has the guibo on the back of the transmission,while the NK car has the guibo on the diff.Will the output flange off the old 232 4 speed fit on the back of the 5 speed ? Or can i buy a special part from somewhere or could i run with a guibo on both ends of the tailshaft ?

Any ideas would be great,thanks,Mal.

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400318 resto

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400178 parts

RHD 1800 NK sedan VIN 0998094 parts

RHD 320i E21 5 speed parts

RHD 1602 ? twin mikunis,5 speed. POS driver

I have no idea what your NK driveshaft looks like but it's got either a 6 or 8-bolt guibo right? and the 5-spd gearbox probably has a 6-bolt. Just unbolt the guibo from one and it's that easy. Guibos are consumable parts meaning they are built to wear and be replaced. Just unbolt one. If you have different flanges you can change them but you'll need a 30mm THIN WALLED deep socket. Just unbolt one and bolt the other on. While you're in there change out the seals & stuff

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

If you have different flanges you can change them but you'll need a 30mm THIN WALLED deep socket. Just unbolt one and bolt the other on.

There is a locking washer type thing there as well. Hard to see if dirt & grime is in there. Screwdriver and a hammer to remove before the 30mm thin wall.

BUS_CARDfaq.jpg

AKA: "Captain Obvious"

Drivers:

'72 '02

75 Opel Ascona

e21

2-e30's

2-e28's

15+ parts cars

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/fosters.3

I'm facing the same problem with my 2000CS. Like your car, it has the guibo at the (longneck) diff end.

I'm pretty sure that BMW changed the splines on the transmission output shaft/flange in 1971 and that we both have the earlier version and won't be able to just swap output flanges.

HOWEVER, I have not actually tried this to make sure that it is true.

Assuming that I can't just swap output flanges, for now, I'm kind of leaning towards the guibo-at-either-end-of-the-driveshaft solution. I think this is going to mean grafting the front end of an E21 driveshaft onto the 2000CS driveshaft.

The only other solution I can think of is to cut off the end part of the output flange from the original 4 speed that bolts to the driveshaft and use it to replace the corresponding part of the E21 output flange that bolts to the guibo. This seems like it requires some very precise cutting and welding but maybe it is worth checking with a shop that does driveshaft work.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

I don't know anything about your original transmission, but using 2 guibos on you driveshaft would probably be one too many. I just guessing here, but there would seemingly be more flex upon take off, and other possible unforeseen problems.

needing to modify the length of the driveshaft. I've never measured a NK 4 speed, but the odds are that it's quite a bit shorter overall than an E21 5 speed, so installing the 5 speed is almost certain to require having the driveshaft shortened - if so, it's relatively easy to change flanges at the same time.

Just a thought, but since the later series one '02s (mid '67 - mid '69 model years?) used a long neck diff and driveshaft with u-joints at the center and rear, it might be possible to use the diff flange and rear driveshaft j-joint & flange at the diff end of the NK shaft, and an E21 flange on the trans end to mate with the E21 5 speed.

One other detail - I've pulled a lot of 5 speeds out of E21's, including cutting off their front driveshaft flanges to use in 5 speed conversions. In my experience, only 1980 E21's used 8 bolt guibos and 4 bolt flanges - 81's and 82's all had 6 bolt guibos and 3 bolt flanges

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Sounds like this is a perfect opportunity for you guys to install custom one-piece driveshafts. Just put a U joing at either end with the proper flanges and run with it. You don't want a guibo at either end. I'm not a driveshaft shop but 02tom's right. There would be too much flex and you would tear through both front and rear guibos... not good.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Sorry that i didn`t make myself clear enough as most of you missed my point.Should have included a picture 1st time so here is one now.

I think 2 guibo`s would work OK.And yes i will definately have to shorten my drive shaft.

When i get the E21 stripped i will try the 4 speed flange on the 5 speed and let everyone know if it fits or not.

The later (post 69 or so) NK sedans had the guibo at the gearbox end,opposite to mine.

I wonder why BMW decided to swap the guibo onto the opposite end of the tailshaft after a while ???

Mal

post-1371-13667568268045_thumb.jpg

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400318 resto

RHD 2000ti NK sedan VIN 1400178 parts

RHD 1800 NK sedan VIN 0998094 parts

RHD 320i E21 5 speed parts

RHD 1602 ? twin mikunis,5 speed. POS driver