• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

V@V Roundel article - Follow up

ScottNC

Hey gang,

I've been really busy the last few weeks and just now saw the post about everyones feelings about the Vintage at the Vineyards article in Roundel. I just wanted to chime in.

The guy who wrote the article , Paul Hoecke, is a real nice guy and a fan of old BMW's (he had the old 7-series at the event and is restoring a Bav.). Before the event he asked if he could write an article about V@V based on a survey he wanted to take at the event. A lot of people filled out the surveys and that was what the article was based on. I was hoping however that the article would show how most of us vintage guys don't care for newer BMW based events.

The article was supposed to be more about vintage BMW guys in the BMWCCA and not really an event article, so a lot was left out about the event. The best part was that V@V was in Roundel one more time which will help promote the event for next year. I guess I'm a "glass is half full" kind of guy.

As for the event being described as a BMWCCA event, I DO have mixed feelings. BMWCCA doesn't support the event in any way , BUT, the local Tarheel Chapter does contribute $500 towards the German band and takes out insurance on the event. These two things are big.

V@V is still a Scott Sturdy (with lots of help from 02 GROUP members!!!) run event and no one from BMWCCA or Tarheel Chapter have ever butted in to try to make changes. If they want to ride on my coattails, so be it. But if they ever start dictating changes to me, the shit will hit the fan. So until that happens, everything's cool.

THANKS to everyone for their concern and support for the event. It makes me feel great when I read all the messages from you guys who seem to really enjoy coming down to NC for a fun vintage BMW weekend.

Big thanks also to o2er David Bowen for the photos which accompanied the article.

happy motoring,

Scott

"SAVE 'EM FROM THE CRUSHER !"

Scott,

My name is Tom Michael. I live in Lexington and work in W-S. I owned/restored a 71 2002 in the early 80's. I'm looking for another as I get closer to retirement. I've been checking out ebay and this board on a regular basis. I can't afford a garage queen, but don't won't to spend the next two years fixing one up either. I was a long time BMWCCA member, but the new cars turn me off. I didn't know if you have any leads on anyone who might have a 2002 (preferrably round tail light/small bumpers)? There's a nice car in Boulder CO right now on ebay. Maroon/Tan, but he wants $12,000. for it. I was looking more in the neighborhood of $6/7000. and CO is a long way from NC. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scott: Thanks again for putting on a fantastic event in the vineyard. It was well worth the long drive from Ohio. It captured what I like best about '02 ownership: the friendship, the willingness to share knowledge/parts/time, the lack of pretensions, the ability to enjoy something like a kid would.... I went to a car show last summer sponsored by Porsche owners and they certainly had ramrods up their asses. The only guy that was friendly had a 912 w/loads of patina. Anyhow, I'm glad that's not the stereotype of vintage bimmer owners. Without complaining a lot, I do hope next year's write-up tells more about the people, their cars, their struggles to get there, to get their car up and running again, & it must include kudos to you and the others that got it all together. BTW, come up to our event on Sept. 24th @ John Bryan State Park near Yellow Springs, OH, Scott! Good luck w/V @ V 2007!!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I've been driving my ' 02 for 25 yrs and have been a member of BMW CCA for the past 23 yrs. I'd just like to mention, as someone who chairs a yearly club event, that CCA making their $10 million liability insurance available is no small jesture. I know our event, which utilizes a private repair shop, would not be possible w/out that liability coverage. Just my

2¢ worth.

Bob Napier

Hi Scott, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest here. Just wanted you, your team, and the event get the coverage they deserved for the top notch event V@V has become. Thanks again. Tim

Ehh, everyone's entitled to their own opinion- I'm glad you shared yours about the Roundel V@V article.

I did want to publicly thank Scott and Patty for all of their hard work and devotion to this event. I don't think many people realize just how hard it is to make an event like this run soooo seamlessly, Scott and Patty make it look easy!!

As far as I know, the "team" is pretty much Scott and Patty, with some other help as needed at the event.

Anyway, thanks a million for a job well done!!! :)

Bret.

Scott -- Thanks for the word. Just for that, Chef Turbo Ohtwo is going to make you a "special ingredient" omelet at OBX. Anyway, as I've noted, I'm glad that Roundel found a use for the pictures (they were intended for the V@V web site, as you know).

Also, if anyone really wants to help next year, you can figure out some way to get a bigger, badder, better, portable slot-car track for the kids. I'd build it myself, but since we live in Maryland, it'd be kind of hard to haul it down 95-85. And besides, you wouldn't want me to build it, anyway, since I'd go way overboard (you doubt that? Look at the trunk of my cars). You see, I was a HUGE Tyco guy as a kid -- not Auroro, mind you, but Tyco, since it snapped together (as opposed to Auroro's pins-and-clip system). I had a world-class setup in my parent's basement -- and it took up the entire basement -- and I still have all the equipment (tracks, cars, transformers, you name it). But logistically, it's just not possible to haul something down to Winston-Salem. So, if someone can figure out how to build a great, portable layout (with due regard to the space limitations at the Vineyard), that would be great, since the kids really seemed to enjoy the slots. Maybe something laid out on 4x8 ply, that folds on a piano hinge - or else, something modular (like the O-guage model train guys do). Anyway, it'd be nice for the kids.

I just got a chance to read the infamous article.

My take on it was that the atricle was not so much about the event itself, but more about the demographics of the event attendees. Is the CCA serving the needs of its members or are the SIGs and webgroups filling the void or causing potential club members to stray? I did read the line saying how the "club" needs to encourage or put on more events like this. They were not saying that the club had ownership of the event.

Having put on a "non-club" event myself, and having it reported in the club magazine, I can see their point. The best solution would have been to have an article written about the event itself, and then have the article about the demographics be a sidebar. But, should they really have articles about "non-club" events in club magazines? My opinion is yes, as long as club members are involved. For example, they do have articles about new car release parties that most of us are not invited to, but we like to read about.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes