• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front air dam question

lsixt

I have a front air dam that claims to be for my 74 2002.

Problem is that it is about 1.75 " too wide at the front fender wells - and that's with the flairs in place.

Might I have the wrong air dam or has anyone ever had a similar problem?

I may be able to post a picture later - I'm off to the body shop now to check on progress.

is it fibreglass? my CSL replica i fitted to my CSi was a touch too wide - simply pulled it in at either end when i mounted it and it now looks fine...

'73 tii arancio borealis - finished?!

'74 lux fjord - gone :(

'73 3.0csi polaris

Dont you need your fender flairs on first to see if they wont fill the gap on the front air dam? Looks like if your fender flairs were installed you solvede your own problem. Just could be a funny camera angle making me see something different.

69 2002 1668997 "Geboren ein Hölle"

Shhhhhh... Another Whispering Bomb!!

I would agree. Get the flares on and get the spoiler in the right position and then see where you are. Many fiberglass parts require some "fitting". They had to take about an inch out of the center of my spoiler to get it to fit right.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Edit: Let's see a pic of the flares fitted with the bumper. Do you have original flares or are they replica? If they are replica, are you sure the flares aren't off a bit rather than assuming the air dam? Zender usually makes high quality stuff that fits pretty good. Is your Zender authentic or replica?

'74 02tii

OK, here ya go.

We retro fited the front flairs and then tried to align the air dam. See attached photos.

Q. The air dam looks much wider - may it be for a 320 or tii??? I'm putting this on a 74 2002.

I'm putting a photo of the zender stamp that is on the air dam. Maybe the stamp and or part number holds a clue???

Thanks for all your replies. At this point, if I can't ID the dam, I may be posting up for a new one - that will FIT.

Fall back is to cut out from the center.

BTW - anybody have some hints or suggestions on supporting the thing from the undersides? There are two "lips" on the bottom edge, that we're going use as support and put some custom brackets in there along with the rivets across the front. Fender felt will be used as well all around.

Thanks again.

post-1447-13667567206509_thumb.jpg

post-1447-13667567207965_thumb.jpg

post-1447-13667567209064_thumb.jpg

post-1447-13667567210014_thumb.jpg

• Alpina

Maybe that front spoiler is to be used with box flares not with turbo flares. or ask the guys on the E21 section on Bimmerforums. just my 02 cents.

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

You got the wrong air dam. The one you have is for the box flairs. Look at the body line of the bumper you have. It is totally different then the way the body is with your turbo flairs. Even if you cut the bumper in half to cut out the extra 2" or so gap and fiberglassed it back together, you will still be doing more fiberglass work to make the body lines flow together nicely where the turbo fender and bumper meet. It can be done, its just a little time consuming when you were expecting to have a "bolt on" spoiler.

69 2002 1668997 "Geboren ein Hölle"

Shhhhhh... Another Whispering Bomb!!

Interesting.

I don't know what "box flairs" are, but a picture would be nice.

The end of the air dam (either side) aligns perfectly with the flairs and the fenders when I align them up. The center of the dam fits perfectly with the front of the car.

Next question is "does anyone have an airdam that would fit?" If so email me.

Zender box fenders look like this:

scan0004.jpg

It is actually what I am have going onto mine.

I've got a airdamn from Jaymic in the UK. It looks like a turbo airdamn, but with an added duct on the driver side.

02BD.1906.jpg

Instead of the stock bmw turbo one

399c0b7eef9d1c23888d9c48b8f9910e.jpg

I can get a better picture for you tonight if you would like. If you are intrested would you do a trade for that bumper? Please e-mail me or post your e-mail. golfyellowtii @ yahoo.com

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif

• 4 weeks later...

OK,

I'm not sure what airdam I had, but my body shop folks made it work. They cut it down the middle, then ground away until the sides came it. Fiberglass reinforced and filled in.

Once it's cleaned up, etc. and painted, it's gonna be just fine.

Thanks all for your input and comments, etc.

Henry - again sorry for the confusion.

post-1447-13667568273204_thumb.jpg