• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

turn signal short... any ideas?

robsanab

so the fuse blew twice... I check the obvious places... I took off my suspect front signals for one is old as the internals are cracked.... found a couple smashed wires... nothing real bad... taped up one wire and re-terminated all the connections... I checked the rear signals... wires and all look perfect. Looked under the dash at obvious chafing points along the route to the flasher unit... my wiring looks really good. Thought I fixed it because I turned the key and alternated between the hazards and turn signals for awhile... I even ran the engine with the same test... fuse held fast. Now this morning I start up and drive to my first stop sign, use my signal and the fuse blows immediately.

Are there any typical problem areas here? what would cause the fuse NOT to blow when the car is sitting, only to blow when driving?? coincidence only?

any help would be appreciated... this is driving me crazy

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

I had a similar problem a few years back. I seemed that my brake light/turn signals/backup light/dash light would blow a fuse when I turned right. Turned out to be a wire being smashed by the transmission when I went around right hand corners thus shorting out the wire and blowing the fuse. Took me about 2 weeks to track that one down because it would not do it all the time, just some of the time.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

At one point my left turn signal would not work when I pressed the brake, but worked fine when i let up- turned out just to be a bad ground I finally tracked to the rear- but it goes to show I guess that its all connected -

maybe it blew because you were using the brakes as you slowed down to turn-

'70 project