• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On the "attracting attention whilst driving an '02&quot

Mike Self

Drve for a Cure at our local BMW store last night--all the young ladies that work the tour were ga ga over Ludwig--funny too 'cause these kids didn't know the difference between an E46 three series and the new E90 (they had both in the drive fleet) but they sure like the '02.

Then, since my wife's in the market for a small SUV, we stopped next door at the Hyundai dealer last night to look at a Tucson (gutless) and a Santa Fe (better, but I still like the 269 hp RAV4).

While we were test driving, every salesman in the store came out to look at Ludwig; two wanted to know where they could find a nice one--I recommended the FAQ board, natch. One salesman drives an X3--he must be selling a lot of Hyundais...

mike

PS--any thoughts on a small SUV (RAV 4-CRV-sized?)

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the same thing happened while i was at the charlottesville drive for the cure. uber always gets more attention than the komen fleet. then again, i'm usually the only one with an 02 at our chapter events. most of the young kids working that thing can barely coral our blueridge chapter members long enough to get them to sign the waiver. they're only hired because they are cute girls...which isn't so bad i guess.

i liked the original, first version of the honda CRV. when i lived in saudi arabia, we rented one for a desert excursion. it kept up with my friend's off-road modded wrangler fairly well, considering. i don't like the styling of the newer CRV...the RAV4 is better looking, i think. if i had to get an SUV, it would be a CRV/RAV4. 90% of people that have an excursion/dummer/suburban don't need those land barges. the CRV-sized ones are great. i liked the X3 better than the X5 when i drove both at the drive for the cure...but i wouldn't want to drive either of them everyday.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

Hehehe, always great to hear the '02's are getting some love from the general public!

My family has had a Honda CRV Sport - with alloys, fogs, sunroof, etc. - that was one of the best built cars we have owned... really well put together, great little thing to drive in Auto variant as well. Plenty of room. I learnt to drive in it. Ours had a Vtec B20B motor in it that was great on teh highway and overtaking. My friend had a Honda Civic VTIR with this motor and a Garett Gt35/40 on it - that was a weapon!

We had one issue with it, the hub cap came off the centre of the wheela few times and we lost it, but who knows, someone might have been stealing them!?!

We replaced the CRV with a US$50K Mercedes Benz wagon that self imploded weeks after we got it... it required a new differential, new A/C unit a little bit further down the track... it was a complete lemon in comparison to the CRV!

My sister has a RAV4... they are a great little SUV, I just drove it 300 miles at 85 mile an hour and it went sensationally! It was also a great 2002 part hauler! I managed to get all my stuff in teh back with the seats all folded up! It returned OK fuel economy as well!

Good luck!

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Guest Anonymous

What do folks think about the X3? Patti and I are thinking about dumping our 2005 Ford Focus station wagon. It's a nice car, gets great gas mileage, and is a real sleeper in terms of performance. We bought it for precisely the opposite reason being discussed here -- we wanted a car that would draw ABSOLUTELY NO ATTENTION WHATSOEVER when we park it. Ergo, grey Ford Focus wagon.

Otis draws a regular crowd -- being orange and all. The staff at VOB BMW in Rockville goes nuts whenever I drive him over there (typical comment -- "Wow, is that a 2002?" Gee -- Ya think?). But we just didn't want to have to worry about creating any scenes with a commuter car. The Focus wagon fits that bill -- but then again, it's B-O-R-I-N-G. We already have a big SUV (Chevy Blazer, all jacked up) and a monster truck (my F-350 "Ramming Speed!!" Eat-Me-mobile), so we don't need an X5. Instead, we need something that Patti can drive to and from the grocery store -- but with a bit more personality. X3 opinions, anyone? Don't hold back -- tell me what you really think of them.

What kind of mileage are you getting with the Focus? A friend of mine bought one - a silver Focus automatic wagon - but is unhappy with the mileage around town. He needs a Civic, but he also needs the utility of a wagon and I don't think Honda has a Civic wagon in the US anymore.

1963 Vespa VNB

1972 BMW 2002 - Sold :-(

1972 Porsche 911T - Sold :-(

I dont mind the X3 as long as it is all color coded with teh lower trims... I think they look a bit daft with teh plastic - a little cheap?

I would have a 325iX if I were in the states! I love them! A cheaper alternative is a Subaru Legacy wagon? You have them? I love them as well!

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Hehehe, always great to hear the '02's are getting some love from the general public!

Agreed. I just went to a VW meet w/ my 02, I figured it was German too and not far off the mark, and got nothing but thumbs up and the most attention. We went on a drive starting in Half Moon Bay and ending in the Santa Cruz mountains. I was impressed at how well my 36 year old car was able to keep up with the wipper snappers. I spooked myself pretty good after I hit a patch of water and found myself looking at the trees on the side of the road versus down the highway. I think the tires on my car are about as old as the car itself.

As far as an SUV why not the new Acura RDX, it's the first turbo charged car Honda has ever offered in the US. Its got the power of an MDX and the economy of a 4cyl when off boost. I just got an Infiniti FX and am regretting it only from the sense of fuel economy. Everything else about the car is amazing. Though, you can't beet the navigation from Honda/Acura.

Current: 1974 BMW 2002, 2004 VW R32, 2009 Infiniti FX35, & VW Eurovan Camper

Previously: 1970 BMW 2002, 1996 VW GTI, 1984 VW GTI, 1984 GTI

Everybody seems to know what a 2002 is. All feedback has been positive. Car guys understand my Porsche too, but half the world thinks the 911 is a Karmann Ghia. It still gets a lof of attention, especially being yellow, but half the world thinks it's a vw and many other people seem to think it must belong to a rich jackass. That's definitely not the case, but I admit it is a pretty high-profile car.

I know am going to cry for months after I sell it but I can't really afford to keep it. I have no garage and it will be difficult for me to tear into it and start repairing body panels if i know it's still going to sit outside.

1963 Vespa VNB

1972 BMW 2002 - Sold :-(

1972 Porsche 911T - Sold :-(

The X3 sucks!!!!!!!

The build quality on that thing is horrible. My father in-law got one as a loaner car. I had the misfortune of having to return it to the dealership. The thing creaked and rattled, it handled like shit, and the interior looked like it had been designed in 1985. It could have been that it was a loaner car, but I wouldn't buy that car based on how f'ugly the interior is.

Current: 1974 BMW 2002, 2004 VW R32, 2009 Infiniti FX35, & VW Eurovan Camper

Previously: 1970 BMW 2002, 1996 VW GTI, 1984 VW GTI, 1984 GTI

Guest Anonymous

We're getting great gas mileage with the Focus. I have absolutely no complaints about the car. It is the perfect D.C. generic commuter mobile. We can leave it anywhere, without fear that someone will jack it or put it up on blocks. Plenty of power for a 4-banger, and it runs on regular. My only concern is that I did not buy the extended warranty, so we have only about 14 months before "Fixed Or Repaird Daily" strikes. Plus, the car "ain't go no soul."

I had heard similar things about the X3 -- bad build quality, rattles, shakes, etc. Plus, both the X3 and the X5 have that annoying rear-end squat -- you can see it starting already -- where the wheels tilt in and everything goes pigeon-toed. That scares me -- been there, fixed that with Otis and the E-30. $$$$$

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Wish you could have seen the look on my wife's face when I suggested that my idea of resizing involved going "small" with an F-250 for her. Hey, that's smaller than the F-350 dually, right? No sense of humor, she.

they flat fly! And they handle surprisingly well for an SUV. Longer wheelbase, 265 tires on the sport version (bigger wheels, tires, sway bars and stiffer shocks. More HP than the Highlander or the Forerunner! And a (claimed) 28 mpg with the AWD V6!

If we can find a dealer who will deal I'd rather have it than the Santa Fe, altho they are heavily discounting the Santa Fe's since the 2007 model is redesigned.

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm not big fan of tall, narrow wheelbase, high center-of-gravity vehicles of any sort.

The worst accident I've ever had was on Christmas day about a decade ago in my mid 80s S10 Blazer. It was a lowered, 2WD version with Nokian Hakkepelitas, and as sure-footed as it was, I lost traction on a slippery Interstate overpass and spun off downhill into the median. Just before the 360 degree spin was over, the vehicle tipped over on the driver's side, then righted itself so fast it didn't even spill the baked bean casserole. I got out, saw that the tires still held air and drove back onto the highway, much to the amazement of a State Police officer who had just cleaned up a previous offroad venture by a tractor trailer.

Cetainly the S10 is one of the more tippy vehicles out there, but I don't don't like flirting with the laws of physics.

I'm a big fan of the Volvo Cross Country and the Subaru Forester. They are lower and more stable.

My $.02

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Toyota kills Hyundai in build quaity in the Aussie marketplace, I am not sure if we get similar spec'ed cars here, but a Sante Fe failed a reputable Victorian motoring association test for SUV's here because of the lack of quality. It was won by a Mazda Tribute in the end - do you have those? They are 150kw or 200hp in about 2800lbs.

toddsig05.jpg

Mazda Tribute just a Ford Freestyle in drag?

mike