• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where does the fuel filler line vent to?

If you're in the US, it's a closed system and there's a vapor recovery container under the hat shelf in the trunk. Euro models vent to the outside through the trunk floor.

Craig74tii

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

Thye have a blue plastic vent tube that runs from the top of the rubber fuel filler connector under the wood trunk floor to a rubber grommet that goes thru the steel trunk floor just to the left of the rear panel reinforcement--cleverly positioned just above the nice, hot muffler!

Folks who have removed the vapor recovery canister on later cars have rerouted the tube in a similar manner.

BTW--the canister mounting bracket seems to be identical to the windshield washer bottle mount...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

hotrodded Fiats, Simcas, NSU-Fiats and Topo-based Italian sports cars (Guiars, Nardi-Crosleys, Bandinis, Siatas etc) on the register...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've often wondered about whether I could adapt a washer bottle bracket to support my vent tank. Someone along the way removed the gas vapor collection tank to make way for rear speakers. Thanks for the heads-up.

The plastic tube from the filler neck goes to the lower nipple on the vapor recovery canister in the trunk. A hose on the upper nipple on the vapor recovery canister goes eventually to a charcoal canister in the engine compartment. Yet another hose goes from the charcoal canister to the intake somewhere (air filter or carb; can't remember exactly).

The vapor canister in the trunk is more of a liquid separator. Any fumes or liquid overflow from the gas tank goes there. Liquid drains back to the gas tank as the fuel level or temperature drops. Vapor from the vapor canister is absorbed by the charcoal up front and held there temporarily. When the engine runs, it sucks the gas vapor out of the charcoal and into the engine, where it is burned.

I remember borrowing the washer bottle bracket from a '76 (above the brake vacuum booster) to use under the hat shelf, where my original bracket had been butchered by a PO "installing" speakers. I recall not using the washer bottle bracket for some reason, which might have been "didn't fit". Instead, I got the correct bracket from a shell.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators