• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

body question!

I'm going to sanding and prepping the body on my '76 02 and I will not be adding the chrome trim that wraps around the body. What can I do to cover up all those small holes. Do I have to weld them shut or can I use JB Weld? Also, can I get POR-15 at a Kragen or Auto Zone, or do I have to go to a paint store. Any info will be great, Thanks!

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

I was faced with the same situation and I improvised by cutting circles from aluminum HVAC tape. I never heard of this done before, so use this idea at your own risk. I talk about it in this link... http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,273580/highlight,/

I ordered POR-15 direct from the factory at www.por15.com

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

I wasn't convinced that bondo alone would bridge the hole, especially if it was sanded down close. Also, I thought I read that bondo in the holes would saturate from the inside out, since it would not be sealed from moisture on the inside.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

i know little about bodywork but if i were investing in paint (that stuffs crazy expensive alone) id want to be sure it was correct. i would weld all the holes and rest easy knowing it would be right

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Guest Anonymous

Try this link. I've found it very valuable:

http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php

The general recommendations by those that do this daily are usually to weld the holes over. If you go the metal tape and filler route, make sure you use fiberstrand or some type of fiberglass filler. Either case, where you can access the back side of the holes that will not get shot with paint (I.E inside the doors etc), hit them with some POR15 to seal it up, otherwise you run the risk of moisture coming up from behind and bubbling up over time. I weld filled the lower molding and had to get creative with a coat hanger to reach some of the holes behind the internal door braces with POR15. And wear a good respirator when you use POR15 or you'll see little birdies for about 48 hours.

Thanks for the tips guys, I guess I'll be welding those holes shut. Hey Randy, thanks for the POR -15 link, just ordered a starter kit, hope thats enough.

David G.

Thanks for the tips guys, I guess I'll be welding those holes shut. Hey Randy, thanks for the POR -15 link, just ordered a starter kit, hope thats enough.

have you ever used por15?? this may be apparent to everyone but me but after some of mine dried out i found the best way to use it is to not open the can but rather puncture the lid with a nail and pour out only what you need. then seal the hole with some good tape. it seems to dry out easily and then its junk. also wear gloves as its not coming off till you shed that skin

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

is to use a piece of copper in the back side of the hole, this acts as a stopper and a heat sink for the weld. You can even use a penny and make your own backing fixture, just have to be a little creative to make it work. Nothing more frustated than blowing holes!

FAQ Member # 91

is to use a piece of copper in the back side of the hole, this acts as a stopper and a heat sink for the weld. You can even use a penny and make your own backing fixture, just have to be a little creative to make it work. Nothing more frustated than blowing holes!

I second this. My friend and I did this to a couple holes on a friends car and worked great. When we paint my car, I'm going to do this with all the sidemarker holes(except the large holes on the rear quarter).

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Thanks, BLUNT. No, I have never used POR15. The starter kit I got only comes with a 4oz. can of the stuff, so hopefully I won't have any left. If it does dry out, it will only be a few ounces.

David G.

A little POR15 goes a long way, especially if you are prepping the exterior body for paint. The only thing you coat with POR15 are the corrosion spots that you cannot fully grind down to white metal for whatever reason (bondo repair prep, seams, next to glass/gaskets). In absense of corrosion spots, you want to prime your white metal, not POR15 it.

Of course, there is always plenty of underbody real-estate for POR15.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

please look at my post in the projects forum

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,273181/

on the middle of the page I show pictures of me filling in the holes .

I tought of all the other options, but that last thing you want is to spend all that money on a paint job and then months years later the paint buble over the bondo/fiberglass etc.. that you put in to cover the holes.

weld them shut then grind the best option.

and it was super easy.

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif