• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R&R/testing old Tii clock...

jgmgti

Getting a new "rebuilt" tii clock.Any tips and tricks for testing "new"clock?Also tips for pulling old one and instalation of the new???

Thanks

jgmgti

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Curt, do you suggest a 12v auto battery or ?Also,any tips on removal & installation?

jgmgti

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

it will supply the same voltage that the clock will be running from most of the time, so you will get a realistic test of the clock's accuracy.

Tips for installing the clock:

1. Use the original harness. It connects to the back of the instrument cluster.

2. It's easier if you remove the heater box first. ;)

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Thanks for the tips,is it possible to change the clock from under the dash by removing underdash panels?

jgmgti

You could use a cigarette lighter plug with some pigtails connected to the clock and set the thing on your dash while you test it. That way it will be at the voltage that you would normally have it at, rather than an artificially ~perfect~ +12 volts. Run it for several days to be sure it is accurate for your voltage.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Nice solution Steve, as to removale and install can it be done from under the dash?

jgmgti

Nice solution Steve, as to removale and install can it be done from under the dash?

jgmgti

Yes it can. BTDT. 2 knurled nuts holding it on. Keith's site or others may shed some light. Here is an outline of clock refurbishment, albeit a '74clock! http://www.my2002tii.com/june_04/index3.htm

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

John Weese (02fanatic) went through this recently. He might chime in, or drop him a note.

Keith Kreeger got to his while the dash was out, but here are his notes on working on the clock:

http://www.my2002tii.com/june_04/index3.htm

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I just did this last Sat. --pull out cluster and unplug wire to clock--remove seat belt warning and place to the side (no need to unplug)--pull back center consul--look up and you will see the 2 thumb screws--1 finger from the access from the seat belt light hole and the other from the bottom to unsrew the nuts and pull out the clock with the wire harness. It took me about 40 min. to remove and two hours to repair the clock. Next time I will check the clock before I finish installing my complete dash.

http://jake-penner.magix.net

I just did this last Sat. --pull out cluster and unplug wire to clock--remove seat belt warning and place to the side (no need to unplug)--pull back center consul--look up and you will see the 2 thumb screws--1 finger from the access from the seat belt light hole and the other from the bottom to unsrew the nuts and pull out the clock with the wire harness. It took me about 40 min. to remove and two hours to repair the clock. Next time I will check the clock before I finish installing my complete dash.

http://jake-penner.magix.net

Nice tii, Jake. And the bikes are not too shabby either!

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Thanks everyone...I'll give it a go...by the way nice old BSA.Years ago I had a Norton Manx replica and before that a Rickman Chassied Triumph 650.

jgmgti