• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Driving Roads around the world?

oz_tom

Any of you guys heard of Tail of the Dragon? US129 I think. I drove it in my 350Z and was a blast! 11 miles and 316 curves!!!!! Other roads around it are just as funn b/c it really is becoming popular for sports cars and has been popular with the motorcycle groups for quite some time. I think a meet at Fontana Village like the Z club I used to belong to would be very enticing for the BMW crowd. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Alpes Maritimes, right on my door step - one more reason I left traffic clogged London and the South-East of England where if you're lucky enough to see a clear stretch of road a camera flashes and 3 points dissappear from your licence.

This road overlooks where I live and is where they shot Ronin - usually in the top 5 car-chase films.

driving.jpg

I drove the Col d'Aiglun after the wrc this year - if you've watched the Monte Carlo rally and wondered how the road was wide enough to drive down, let alone flat out, before hooning across a small bridge and into a tunnel carved out of rock, then that's the one. This is the approach.. (difficult to spectate, even if you're a mountain goat!)

loeb20action2016thumb2.jpeg

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

from Grenoble to St. Maxime (sp?). It was at night and I got tired about 3am and stopped until dawn, only to find that there was sheer cliffs right next to the road. I've heard they run the MC Rally on it sometimes. I was on my way to take the Elf Winfield School at Paul Ricard. My French buddy was drunk as hell and I drove until he was out so he'd quit fighting with me about him driving. He would have killed us for sure. It was after I shot this piece that ran in R&T . . .

kid1.jpg

kid2.jpg

I love the Great OCean Road - I drove it on Sunday and today!

It is a sensational road when you get a nice run, the car sounds magic with the echo of your exhaust off the rock face and spectacular ocean views.

I would love to drive the Dragon in the US... I used to have a MINI and a lot of the MINI owners travel there each year for a weekend, I have seen pics and heard such great reviews.

I'd be happy to trial a few other oness when I am over there too :-)

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

The "Tail of the Dragon" is also called Deals Gap in NC. Described as one the the best E. Coast Drives. Blue Ridge Parkway is nice too. I rember a family vacation to Germany where we drove the Grossglockner Highway which is world class. Arcadia in Maine is nice. Never been to CA, but the PCH is world famous. The road in the UAE looked cool, kind of mystery though. People in the Mid East and the UAE are huge F1 fans. I bet there's some nice cars over there...lots of cash....I'm wondering what kind of reception you'd get w/ a red white and blue 2002 or Mustang blazing down that road.

Red Mountain Pass between Silverton and Ouray, Colorado. Best driven briskly in the winter when the road is dry, traffic is light, and the RV's and tourists aren't out in force. Lots of fun high G corners with spectacular views and drop-offs to keep it exciting.

'73 2002tii #2763405 - gone to new owner for restoration :(

BMW CCA #19633