• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center Console Question???

jgmgti

There is a gap under the dash, and the top of my center console.What is the proper way to join the two?

jgmgti

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

I've contemplated that same gap and think there's got to be some nice little trim piece I can put in there, but it's got to remain easily removable to facilitate wire fidling and heater box access

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

i thought I remember reading,that they screw in from behind the console to the dash bottom??

jgm

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

to the dash--the short ones are held in place by a single screw that's behind the storage bin's trailing edge (nearest the shift boot).

The longer consoles are held in place by one or two screws that go into the tunnel housing, not the dash. You really don't want console and dash fastened together as it will cause squeaks. Leave the gap; it's factory!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike thanks, where on the console is the hole to screw into the tunnel?

jgmgti

Guest Anonymous

I think there is an "L" type bracket that hangs down from the shift surround if I remember correctly.

Guest Anonymous

Hey Jonathan - next time I see you - I'll show you how the whole she-bang goes together. The gap can be eliminated, but it takes a bit of disassembling and repositioning of fragile old console parts.

Ciao!

Paul

Paul,

Thanks,see you next week at your shop,again the facility is fantastic.Booked some time in there.

Jgmgti