• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wish there was a FAQ tech file called "Desmogging 101

Simon

I know I'm dreaming, but a little step by step instruction text, perhaps with a few photo's would be great. Anyone know of one? I've searched the forum/archives and there are bits of info all over, but not one concise text.

Simon, (living in dream land)

1974 Sahara '02, DD

I recently did one, car is a California 76 (which had it all). I do remember all of it. Unfortunately, I did not document it but what I used was a smog diagram, and just jumped in taking the stuff off/out. What year car is it? I had some Q's here and there but was nothing major and the FAQ cleared up some of those lose ends for me.

Ca '76: Sahara / Korman Stage I

Greg,

It is an intimidating process for those with limited mechanical skill. I have a '74 automatic with vacuum retard dizzy and a 32/36 weber, otherwise stock.

Did you remove the fuel return control valve? Did you just run a new fuel line from the pump to the carb?

Regards,

Simon

1974 Sahara '02, DD

Better get going on that, someone may need it .

EXACTLY!! ;)

Ive always said this whenever someone posts a suggestion for a FAQ. Ninety percent of the FAQs on the site were written by community members out there. I myself have assembled a couple of them based on that same kind of Archives mining you are talking about (referring to original poster ;)). Go for it!! You could have your name in the 02 FAQ *FOREVER*!!! ;)

you can email me at jennaishealed at hotmail dot com.... good luck and have fun!! :)

Greg,

It is an intimidating process for those with limited mechanical skill. I have a '74 automatic with vacuum retard dizzy and a 32/36 weber, otherwise stock.

Did you remove the fuel return control valve? Did you just run a new fuel line from the pump to the carb?

Regards,

Simon

Hey Simon,

On my 76 I left the fuel return valve intact, but there was a vacuum line on the bottom of the valve that branched to the carb (DIDTA Solex) and one of the other devices (not the retard as the 74 dia shows), what I basically did was routed a single line from the bottom of the fuel return to the spot where one of the branches plugged into the carb.

I'll study up on the 74 diagram.

If you need any help I'd be more than happy to help you where I can.

UPDATE: Just looked at the 74 diagram and it looks pretty simple, although a little different from the Cali 76's. I also opted to remove the emissions wire harness as well, which, should you decide you want to go that route I can give you some tips for that as well.

Here is your bible

74_2002p.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the advice. What did you do with the hose from the exhaust manifold? Did you substitute a Tii manifold or pug/seal the tube somehow. From reading the archives duct tape and a dime over the hole doesn't seem to work!

Interestingly, the PO must have been in here up to something as I don't have a dashpot nor a fuel return valve (doh, dumb earlier question). In addition, various wires to leads on the intake manifold etc seem to be disconnected. I suspect my smog system isn't working very well.

Simon

A tii exaust manifold would be optimal, but there are creative ways to plug the port. I'm sure welding a cap in place would do nicely and wouldn't be too difficult.

Here is a picture of the loom that can be removed, might as well ditch it especially if it isn't being used. You'll need to place one wire from + on the coil to your carb, you can piggy back wires off the new main wire to go to the other electrical connection points on the carb need be.

emissions1-640.jpg

Sounds like there might have been an attempt to remove the stuff before?