• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 front bumper the same as a 69 front bumper?

Harv

Looks like I might be able to get a good deal on a front bumper from a 72. My car is a 69 and something's telling me that the very early cars front bumpers are different. Don't they sit closer to the body or something?

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Harv,

The center front bumper is the same for all roundies, corner pieces are different, I think, after 1971 and also the bumper brackets. The later roundies, ('72 and '73?) use a y type bumper bracket, the earlier style bracket just have the curved end.

Tim

'69 2000

Thanks Tim. I think I might go for it since I'd have to trim the corner pieces to fit into the flare anyway. I have my early bumper brackets.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Center sections are the same.

The ends are different. Early cars are clean and smooth. Beginning in late '71 the ends are drilled for the rubber bump strip. On all the early cars the same bumper brackets are used. These small brackets (there is only one style, I think) hold the bumper close to the body and the front fenders are drilled to support the outer end.

Brackets for the '73-only chrome-bumpered Federalized bumpers are massive, heavy, and push the bumper forward a ways. The holes on the front fenders are located in a different place.

What I would do is get an early all-chrome bumper and whatever early brackets were necessary. You can bolt up the brackets and center section, then see where the bolts for the bumper ends need to be located on the front fender. Drill mounting holes accordingly.

The seams where the bumper sections join together at the bracket are not very pretty.

"Duke" had a pair of "early-early" 1600-2 front bumper overriders that cover these seams and would look damn good , IMO.

Car looks Great.

Keep on keepin' on!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Hey John!

My $0.02 worth...Delia gave excellent write-up and advice...couldn't have said it better myself! :-)

Only other thing I'd recommend is that you seriously consider mounting the "smaller" European overiders to cover the bumper section joints. they are still available. That's what I have on Hugo, even though he's a '72...I have an early-style Euro bumper on him...looks "sweet"! and not as obtrusive as the bumper with the larger "bean-shaped" or "pointed" overiders.

Your car will look very cool with an early-style bumper IMHO!

Take Care,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

But, John, that's what I was referring to when I said "early-early 1600-2."

Duke has a pair posted for sale on his site.

Great "old" minds think alike, ya know..

LOL!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com