• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine vibration/shaking

Happy Face

ok, I'm no mechanic....but now that I've had this car for a few years I'm coming to the realization that my motor vibrates (shakes) too much.

I know its an old car but it should run smoother than this.

It shakes so much that when its at idle, the sheet metal on the car rattles.

This may be a fact of life in an old car but something tells me there should be a way to smooth this motor out so it idles smooth and constant.

Where do I start?

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

You may want to start with a basic tune up.

New plugs gapped properly

Timed correctly

Adjust valves

Renew the ignition points condensor, distributor cap, rotor

Plug wires

Renew fuel filters

If you do all this properly and it still runs poorly, the smart guys will need to jump in.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Guest Anonymous

can amplify vibration response at Idle. Get in there and with a flashlight look at everything push everything around actually lots of thing can be loose so look closely. Have fun

well, it hasn't had a real tune-up since I drove it home from Vegas three years ago so this is good advice....

as a follow up.....a few months back I bought the Crane XR700, a Red coil, and some heavy-duty spark plug wires, all from Ireland Eng.

This would as good of a time as any to do the EI install....

question though....which plugs do I get for this new setup and (which gap also), and...do I need to add a ballast resistor? While I'm at it, should I replace anything else to ensure a trouble-free setup (electric/timing related)?

thanks

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

They have an excellant tech support line, use them if you need them.

About the ballast resister, the Crane needs a certain amount of resistance from the coil/ballast resister, I forgot what that is, the tech line can tell you. You must ensure you have that resistance with or without a ballast resister. Follow the directions to a "t" and you will not have any problems.

I run the stock plug at the stock gap, although many report you can widen the gap, I guess some experimenting and plug reading will tell you.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Or in the winter when you're worried about burning all the fuel, you could go a little hotter with BPR5ES. And Yes, I always use a 'resistor' plug due to my perpetual battle with radio noise from the ignition. A battle which I have won BTW.

---------

BigDog

'76 2002

One more tid-bit to throw in as a possibility, because I recently went through the same problem (but not as bad as your problem sounds) . . . if your motor brackets & mounts are solid and all timing/ignition/fuel maintenance issues are correct and recent, it could have something to do with a worn distributor shaft and/or worn timing chain/timing chain components. Any of these things being worn/loose could cause a more noticable "jumping" at idle as compared to higher RPMs. And at higher RPMs you might also notice an occasional "skip" or miss fire. And a worn distributor shaft or loose timing chain/components combined with other ignition or fuel problems will only compound the issue and having you pulling your hair out when trying to smooth out the idle.

The older I get the better I was!