• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing window tint, what to use?

oldbimmers

i personally hate tint and its the first thing i remove on a car. i have been able to lift a corner and peel it off in large sheets both times ive done this. then i use full strength amonia and a scrub brush. put the amonia in a spray bottle and wet the window and let it sit a minute. then start scrubbing and it turns the glue into a globby mess that you can then wipe off with a clean rag. after youre done windex the windows and youre set

be sure to wear a respirator when doing the rear windows in an enclosed car

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Guest Anonymous

STEAM STEAM STEAM. works better than anything else. the tint slides off in one wet sheet and the goop wipes up with a papertowel, some light razorblading and some windex (as long as it's still steamy)

HTH

Brent

Window tint removal procedures

I just removed tint from my rear window. Need ammonia and tint removal chemical (sold at Walmart) and large plastic bag or plastic sheeting. Spray ammonia on old tint and then press plastic bag to window. Move car window into direct sunlight for one hour. Plastic bag keeps ammonia from evaporating. The ammonia seems to greatly soften film. After one hour, remove bag and using a razor blade, carefully lift tint from upper corner and slowly pull. Spray tint removal chemical as lifting tint. DO NOT USE razor blade near defroster wires!! After film is removed, spray tint removal chemical to glass to remove remaining glues. Hope this helps!!

Buddy of mine is a professional window tint guy...he also said to use steam. We just removed the window film from a 325i I purchased from PKBinPlano. Used a steamer and it worked great. Razored off the stubborn edges. Fixin' to do my own E30 and I'm not dreading it anymore.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Buddy of mine is a professional window tint guy...he also said to use steam.

Steam seems like they way to go, but its not like the stuff comes in a can or something. Unless the glass is actually out of the car it seems like this might be a bit difficult to arrange. How exactly does one make and direct the steam? Will an iron provide enough for something like this?

Jason

1974 Malaga 2002 daily driver