• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? Blower Motor refurbishment

jerry

i perused the archives and found some tidbits but i have two nonfunctioning blower motors that need help. it appears that the graphite brushes have worn down. is there any source for just the brushes? seems like when they wear down to the stubs it causes a short and minor melting occurs. otherwise my motor appears good in every other respect.

hate to shell out for a new one as this is only the first of several heater boxes i'll be rehabbing for the stable.

anyone install a look-alike motor with any success?

thanks in advance

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

armatures etc for their electrical stuff, but these days I'm not so sure. You might inquire of a Bosch dealer/distributor. If that doesn't pan out, look for an electric motor repair shop in your yellow pages. Brushes is brushes, regardless of voltage, and you may be able to find a set of brushes that will work in your motor.

If your armature has been damaged by worn brushes--especially if the insulators between the copper segments on the commutator are covered over with chunks of melted copper, you're gonna have to clear those melted spots or the armature will short out; then the motor's probably toast.

Soon as I can lay my hands on a non-functioning heater motor, I'm gonna do some experimenting to see if I can dismantle and repair it without ruining it. If I'm successful, I'll do a column on the procedures.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

I don't know about the 02 blower motor but I have a couple of diesel Mercedes and I know a few Mercedes guys who have replaced the brushes on the blower motor. I believe they sell the brushes at ACE Hardware. I have been told the brushes can be cut to the correct length. I know CD owns a turbo Mercedes 300D so maybe he can chime in. Good Luck...

I don't know about the 02 blower motor but I have a couple of diesel Mercedes and I know a few Mercedes guys who have replaced the brushes on the blower motor. I believe they sell the brushes at ACE Hardware. I have been told the brushes can be cut to the correct length. I know CD owns a turbo Mercedes 300D so maybe he can chime in. Good Luck...

Mercedes put good blowers in their cars back in the day. Usually you can replace the brushes and bring it back to life. I thought the 02 blowers had problems with the bearings wearing out, causing noise when making hard corners. I think I remember reading about that in a buyers guide.

76 2002 40 DCOEx2 292 Shrick

1984 Mercedes-Benz 300D Turbo Diesel 240,000 miles

ekjj7t.jpg