• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car only starts when I use diagnostic port tool

Hello,

So just now my '74 02 wouldn't start and at first I thought it was the battery.  But after messing around with some things I could only get the car started by using the diagnostic tool by inserting the two wires into the port with the orange cover below the fuses.  I turned the car off and tried starting it normally but only heard some slight noises when turning the key so then I tried the diagnostic port way again and voila it started.   Would it be that my starter has gone bad or could it be something else?  Thanks.

I’m thinking the electrical part of your ignition switch has gone bad.  Pretty easy to replace if you can find one.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Do a search for 74 seatbelt interlock or relay, It's a 74 only deal that keeps the starter motor from engaging unless all occupied seats are buckled up, this was almost always bypassed by unplugging the seat sensors but this still leaves the relay in the system it just thinks no seats are occupied all's OK until the relay wears out.  

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thanks you guys for replying.  It turns out it was a loose wire behind the ignition barrel where you put the key in.  Just had to tighten the screw.  Should have checked that first!

• Like 4