• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tank floor rust repair

Posted (edited)

Trying to figure out how to repair the trunk floor on the tank side. It needs new metal at the base of the shock tower and along the area between the tank and the outer fender. It's rusted enough that, at best, all I can do is create flat steel, but I know there are lips and so on, there. Any and all help greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Markwemple

1 hour ago, bergie33 said:

Oh, and you should at least try to recreate the lip that the gas tank sits on. It needs to be strong enough to hold a tank full of 40-50L of gas. 

The strength iss is one of my concerns. Also, does it spot weld to the outer fender?

The glued in reinforcement is a square light only to meet fed standards. The panel is not welded to the outer fender the gap is filled with a mastic material.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

3 hours ago, bergie33 said:

You can't purchase it.  You have to make it...or not.  It's helpful for structure, would probably help minimize damage in a 5 mph accident with the big bumpers, but not completely required.

Does it sit between the tank and 1/4 panel or tank and bumper?