• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

URGENT - CARBURETOR ONE LAP

Go to solution Solved by raycycl,

Just an idea. Since vibrations caused you to lose your jet inspection cover, and you’re still having vacuum issues, I’d check/tighten the progression hole covers and accel pump jet covers on the DCOEs. If they loosen you’ll get vacuum problems at idle/cruise…

Is it your idle mixture volume screws or the idle speed adjustment screw that’s having no effect?

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Changed the plugs out of good measure and they look good. 

Found one vacuum leak on number one because of the shared bolt on the water neck.  Water neck flange is a little thicker than the intake.  We have put a half washer under it in the past and it was missing. We are idling much better now.

However we also have a leak on number 4 and it is most likely a gasket.  Will rtb it after this session before we run in the afternoon.

@visionaut idle speed adjustment screws had no effect, but now are working.  We have the idle at 1400 and it is smooth except for when the electric fan kicks in.  I am sending the car on track in about 10 min.  It is together and about to call @wegweiser

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Took the car to Paul - we were able to work through a few vacuum leaks but saw that the timing chain tensioner was broken and was sitting in the front of the engine.  Unfortunately, we need to teardown the engine to see if any metal got into it.

I really appreciate all of the support, community, and passion to keep these cars going.

Next year we're gonna do it with a trailer made out of a 2002, which unfortunately wasn't quite ready for this year. 

Edited by raycycl
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Stoked to see there's a 2002 doing the 1 lap! I plan to run it next year with my dad and hopefully we can share some racing together:) Bummer with the tensioner but great job and best luck next year!

• Like 2

Cool adventure.. and, great job sorting through the various issues.

16 hours ago, raycycl said:

we were able to work through a few vacuum leaks but saw that the timing chain tensioner was broken and was sitting in the front of the engine.  Unfortunately, we need to teardown the engine to see if any metal got into it.

Curious: Were you running a fixed/solid chain tensioner, or the OEM set-up? -KB

Yes - Brock Yates wants the car back next year and we will be there.  Brock suggested a K swap, which we will not entertain.  I am thinking a 304 cam and possibly a S14 crank.

We will post a full writeup on the adventure after we get the engine torn down.

• Like 2