• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locking gas cap with flap

Go to solution Solved by '76mintgrün'02,

There is a guy on eBay with an original locking cap with no keys. Can any locksmith as this person states make a key for these? Seems a little odd that the seller didn't do it if that was that easy. Does anyone know of a nice original for sale? Thanks 

There are two different factory accessory locking gas caps with pivoting keyhole covers (and a third one with no cover).  

The cap with the round, pot metal cover is correct for roundies; for squarelights, there's one with a lozenge-shaped stainless steel cover, and one without a cover.  

I had the very devil of a time finding a key blank to fit the roundie gas cap lock.  Of the batch of ten keys ordered by my local hardware store--all carrying the same number--only two would actually insert into the keyhole. 

But to answer your question, yes, given the correct key blank, a competent locksmith should be able to make a key for that lock.  BTW the early (roundie) locks are hard to find,so if your car's a roundie, unless the seller wants something exorbitant for his cap, it would be worth a shot. 

And if you can't get a key made, simply grind off the locking tang and use it as a regular cap.  Most would-be gas pirates won't even try to loosen if they see a lock on it.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I appreciate the input. I now have a locking cap that carries the BMW logo, with no flap that works. It sounds like I have the correct one. Thank you for the knowledge. 

In my life I have had and still do a lot of really cool cars. But this little black 2002 floats my boat like no other. Full Restro coming this fall. 

• Like 1