• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

She’s Alive

Posted (edited)

Got the Tii motor to start on the fifth or sixth turn of the key this morning. (I realized I wasn’t filming the start-up) Not to say there weren’t many attempts last night. After I got everything ready for the start-up the K-Fish pump was leaking gas through the o-rings on top. UPS had a trail derailment in California that had my package of new O-rings so the hunt was on to find some correct non-OEM

O-rings. I found some at a local Ace Hardware and the result was a successful startup. Now it’s time to set the timing.  A whole new to-do list is now in front me. 

A special thanks to @Allen Lane , if it wasn’t for him and all his help with the project I would not be doing this. 

. @John76 for all of the wiring diagrams and all of the forum members who answered all of my questions. 

@JsnPpp for the cold start relay board

@BMW 1600-2for the cold start relay harness

(I don’t think it would have started without those items)

@Kaifor the Tii engine and varied accessories. 

Here is a new question, what’s the best way to set the timing looking through the viewing port on the transmission? Seems almost impossible to see down there with a timing light. 

Edited by Mike Nance
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Mike Nance changed the title to She’s Alive
3 hours ago, Mike Nance said:

Here is a new question, what’s the best way to set the timing looking through the viewing port on the transmission? Seems almost impossible to see down there with a timing light. 

IMG_3942.mov 66.24 MB · 4 downloads

Congrats on the start up!

Yes, the viewing angle through that hole is tricky. Did you already paint the ball white? That helps a bunch. I dipped a BBQ skewer in white paint and dabbed it on the ball. Also tricky...

1 hour ago, popovm said:

Congrats on the start up!

Yes, the viewing angle through that hole is tricky. Did you already paint the ball white? That helps a bunch. I dipped a BBQ skewer in white paint and dabbed it on the ball. Also tricky...

3 hours ago, Mike Nance said:

@popovmI was able with the help of @Allen Laneget the ball sighted in. Idle is smooth at 850 rpm. Only problem now is oil is seeping out between the filter and housing on when running.  Always something. 

I just got through my 400th "always something" with my '74 tii. Keep after it. It's worth it.

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

@Mike Nance - Happy to hear that it started up and the harness worked out for you!  Can’t wait to see your first drive videos!

Current: '75 verona 2002Tii Lux “Lecco”

Retired: '67 chamonix 1600-2, '69 tundra 2002ti-ed, '74 chamonix 2002, '75 anthracite 2002

==> Contact me if you need a tii or turbo CSV harness - I make a really accurate repro <==